Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Self Help for general arthritic aches and pains

(11 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Mon 13-Nov-17 07:12:32

I’m feeling so old these last few months. My knew creaks every time I go up the stairs. My elbow hurts if I hold anything heavy. My shoulder on the other side hurts if I raise my hand and my hips ache. I’m heading for 50 and the menopause

I have come up with weight loss to help the knees and hips. I’m exercising when I find the time. Too early to have made a difference yet,

What else can I try? Are there supplements that are really helpful or is it all a con?

I still work full time, long hours so my body can’t give up yet.

mermaidbright Mon 13-Nov-17 07:36:56

Watching with interest, I am exactly the same.

Peri menopause hit and I aged over night. My joints and muscles ache. I wake up really stiff and it takes me ages to get going.

It's horrible, I am 52.

I have a doctors appointment at 9 today to talk about it. Will let you know how I get on.

katymac Mon 13-Nov-17 08:38:46

B12 & vit D have helped me (fibromyalgia) plus non-load bearing exercise and regular hot baths

But it's not a quick fix

glitterbiscuits Mon 13-Nov-17 09:03:43

I long for a bath!

I’ve sent for some Spatone today - an iron supplement. I’m vegetarian and a blood donor so no reason to suspect my iron stores are low but I am tired and my hair is thinning so I’m going to give it a try.

Willing to give anything a try.

glitterbiscuits Mon 13-Nov-17 13:23:44

@mermaidbright - how did you get on?

mermaidbright Mon 13-Nov-17 13:30:51

Glitter my doctor suggested that I try hrt as joint and muscle soreness are very much a meno symptom.
She prescribed three months of Evorel Conti patches and I am to go back after one month if there is no change and she will up the dose.

I am also having a blood test on Friday to check iron levels and thyroid etc.

mayhew Mon 13-Nov-17 13:35:25

I take low dose aspirin to prevent blood clots. To my surprise it dramatically reduced my hand and wrist pain which is probably arthritis. When I ran out of aspirin, the pain came back.
I also take vitamin d which I think is helping.

BadCarrot Thu 16-Nov-17 08:30:08

Mum has osteo and rheumatoid arthritis; her consultant said the only supplement that works is GoPo a rosehip extract. That plus prescribed drugs has dramatically improved her condition in 18 months.

TaylorTinker Thu 16-Nov-17 08:43:40

You could try adding the anti inflammatory spices in your diet ginger and turmeric, if you are not already eating them.

allypally999 Thu 16-Nov-17 09:13:29

I swear by Glucosamine for my arthritic hands

Backingvocals Thu 16-Nov-17 17:34:36

I’m in HRT and most of the pains went as a result. Was left with arthritis in my hands (I’m 49 sad) but I’ve gone gluten free and that’s improved matters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: