Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is it worth seeing GP for gum disease?

(12 Posts)
Gummymare Sun 12-Nov-17 08:40:39

My teeth are loose and I have been told that I have a lot of bone loss in my gums. I do clean my teeth and use Corsadyl, but the progression seems pretty relentless.
I don't smoke. My dentist asked me if I had any underlying health problems, which I don't as far as I know. I wondered if there was any link with the menopause, but I can't find anything conclusive.

Any suggestions please?

Backingvocals Sun 12-Nov-17 08:51:36

Some kind of inflammatory condition? Thyroid problems can cause gum disease.

PerfectlyDone Sun 12-Nov-17 08:54:23

The expert in gum disease is really your dentist and they should be treating it actively (at least 3 monthly hygienist visits, ?antibiotics, ??consider assessment by oral surgeon - in extreme cases 'pockets' of gum may be surgically removed to stop ongoing inflammation).

See your GP for a general health check, fair enough, but they cannot address the oral problem provided you are otherwise healthy.

Maybe ask your dentist for a referral to a secondary service/dental hospital??

Gummymare Sun 12-Nov-17 09:35:16

Thank you both for your replies. That's interesting Backing, I didn't know there was a link with thyroid problems.
I know that dentists are the best professionals for oral disease Perfectly but it was him who asked if I had any underlying health issues as the bone loss is so bad.

PerfectlyDone Sun 12-Nov-17 09:37:06

If it's bone loss then your gum disease has likely gone on for a long time, sorry.

Get checked out by your GP.

Gummymare Sun 12-Nov-17 11:46:10

Thanks, do you know of any underlying issues which might have contributed?

Marmite27 Sun 12-Nov-17 11:48:49

They’ll most likely send you back to your dentist.

PurplePillowCase Sun 12-Nov-17 11:49:22

if you have bone loss than checking with gp if your bone health is generally ok is a good idea.
you might need a blood test and bone scan.

in case you need treatment for osteoporosis, you teeth/gums need to be in tip top condition. so go along woth dentist/hygienist for treatment and check ups.

Miniwerewolfhugs Sun 12-Nov-17 11:51:03

If there's bone loss could it be linked to osteoporosis? Would it be worth getting checked for that. I don't know anything about it just wondering.

Missingstreetlife Sun 12-Nov-17 13:19:45

Check your vitamin d levels

Floralnomad Sun 12-Nov-17 13:23:13

I was told by a peridontist that bone loss around teeth is compeletely unrelated to osteoporosis , don’t know whether that is true though . I’ve got gum problems and bone loss , the rest of my bones are fine . Coincidentally I do have hypothyroidism but I didn’t know the two were related , and my hypothyroidism is usually well controlled .

Intercom Sun 12-Nov-17 13:39:32

Any chance it could be diabetes? Apparently it increases the likelihood of dental problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: