Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Zoladex 3.6 mg implant/Hemicrania continua & NDPH. Need advice.

(6 Posts)
user1494283706 Sat 11-Nov-17 22:18:13

Hi,
I am 45 years old and on my third Zoladex Hormone Implant while awaiting ovaries removal to help with debilitating migraines caused by hormones fluctuation during my cycle.
The implant procedure causes me pain and bruising for a few days as I am quite slim but the worse symptom is the night sweat. It keeps me awake. I am hoping not to take HRT.
Do women suffer from night sweat once the menopause is completed or after the ovaries are removed?
Have any of you had the same treatment to start the menopause before ovary removal? Did it help with your migraines or did it made it worse?
Thank you.

MountainDweller Sun 12-Nov-17 01:39:18

I am on a similar drug, the nasal spray Synarel, which also gives a fake menopause. In my case it’s being used long term to treat endometriosis. I can’t help with the migraines but found the side effects (mostly sweats and fatigue) were worst in the first couple of months; after that I think the drug had taken full effect and I felt better. I too wanted to avoid hrt, and I have apart from a vaginal oestrogen cream that helps with dryness. I guess if you stay on the drug until your op you will go straight from fake menopause to real one, so hopefully not much will change.

mrsrhodgilbert Sun 12-Nov-17 15:51:11

Hi user, I had my first zoladex inject on Friday. The nurse who did it hasn't left any bruise and I have no pain at the injection site. I have had a headache since Friday which is a nuisance but seems to be one of the top side effects so not sure how that links in with migraines.

I haven't had anything else yet but I'm expecting hot flushes to kick in any day. I'm going to be having a hysterectomy in the new year and this is to make me menopausal immediately, I also have breast cancer and the medication I take for that is only suitable for post menopausal women. I have no idea if the operation will bring new symptoms or just more of the same. My gp and cancer nurse have suggested that this chemical menopause is quite tough. I'm hoping I'll only need two or three months of this before the operation.

user1494283706 Wed 15-Nov-17 14:15:48

@MountainDweller Indeed I am on Zoladex to prepare me for complete menopause. I have been informed since my post that there is a 1/3 chance of the operation killing my migraines and a 2/3 chance it will make it worse! It is a big gamble I am taking!
I can't bear being unable to sleep at night due to the hot flushes and sweats. I hope they will go after the operation.
I am hoping someone who has completed the menopause could tell me if those symptoms stop once the transition is over.
All the best with your treatment. :-)

user1494283706 Wed 15-Nov-17 14:24:44

@mrsrhodgilbert I hope everything goes well with your treatment.
Yes, this chemical menopause is quite tough, but in your case, it is necessary <3
Do you have a review in three months?
Three months is the minimum length this therapy can be used. Oh, but I forget are you on the 3.6 mg or 10.8 mg?
I am on the 3.6 mg implant injected every 28 days. My review is in four weeks time and like you I hope not to have to stay too long on that treatment.
I wish you all the best and a full recovery. xxx

mrsrhodgilbert Wed 15-Nov-17 14:43:36

Hi, yes I'm having the monthly injections but no one has said how long I'll be on it for, just until the surgery. I don't know when that will be. I have had a permanent headache now since Friday afternoon which I'm getting very fed up with. I can only take paracetamol and that isn't helping. I haven't had any other symptoms yet, I'm wondering how long the hot flushes take to kick in? I have an appointment with my oncologist next week and hope he can offer more information.

It's quite worrying that your migraines could get worse, I don't like this gambling with our health. I can't take any sort of hrt or natural menopause remedies so whatever is to come I'll have just struggle through. I have no idea how long side effects might go on for after surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now