Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone explain the significance of a “boot-shaped heart” in an 80 yr old?

(7 Posts)
TatianaLarina Sat 11-Nov-17 17:42:51

This was noted on my mother’s recent chest X-ray, with no explanation.

I’ve consulted Dr Google, but the only info I can find is when this phenonomen is caused by congenital heart disease ‘Tetralogy of Fallot’ etc, which I’m pretty sure she would know if she had, as it’s generally detected in childhood.

Any info gratefully received.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 11-Nov-17 18:30:18

Yes, I knew it was linked to TOF, dd's school friend has that congenital heart defect, she has already had four surgeries for it.

TatianaLarina Sat 11-Nov-17 19:40:17

Thanks very much.

Yes it seems to be something picked up by drs in childhood as it’s serious and requires correction.

But this has never shown up before, so I’m baffled.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:38:40

Is she seeing her GP/ hospital following the X-ray.
My mother got to 72 with a BAV before it was discovered, so it is possible to get to adulthood without a CHD being picked up, but I am surprised you would with TOF.
Like you I googled and couldn't find any other condition that caused a boot shape heart.
My daughter and I also both have a heart defect, both hers and mine were picked up at the age of 10.

TatianaLarina Sat 11-Nov-17 21:51:51

Thanks that’s really helpful. TOF sounds too serious to have gone undetected for this long.

She was in hospital at the time with suspected pneumonia and vascultiis and they released her once it had stabilised, saying she should see GP and have ECHO for ischemic changes detected on the ECG.

Didn’t say anything in reference this “boot-shaped heart” so I’m a bit baffled. Perhaps it’s something that can happen with age.

Greatballs Sat 11-Nov-17 21:58:15

Radiographer here. Hello.

Normally we would refer to a boot shaped heart on a chest x-ray as being a sign of left ventricular failure (LVF). It doesn't always mean that but it is a radiographic sign. Combined with an ECG is the normal way of diagnosing. HTH

TatianaLarina Sat 11-Nov-17 22:10:22

That’s very helpful thank you very much. That would fit with other symptoms.

I wonder why they didn’t refer her to a cardiologist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now