Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone had anything similar - what was the outcome?

(9 Posts)
Bonosglasses Sat 11-Nov-17 14:53:31

Have a cold for just over a week. The usual cough, sore throat, runny nose and general aches and pains. Woke up Wednesday with swollen and painful hands and fingers, swollen feet and ankles and a swollen left knee.

Pain and swelling subsided during the day but came back with a vengeance Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Scrunched up a piece of paper at work on Thursday and ended up in tears as it hurt so much.

Friday morning hands and fingers still extremely painful so rang to speak to my GP. Spoke on Friday afternoon, had to go and see him straight away.

He took history and examined my hands. He mentioned virus and arthritis. There's a history of rheumatoid arthritis in the family. He said I need blood tests and appointment has been arranged for tomorrow.

While I am extremely grateful it's getting looked at I'm panicking at how quick it's happening. Is this anything to worry about? Anyone else had similar?

RandomMess Sat 11-Nov-17 14:55:51

If the test comes back negative don’t rule out psoriatic arthritis- same symptoms and entirely linked to your immune system sad

esk1mo Sat 11-Nov-17 15:15:41

i had similar. woke up with sore, puffy hands, and a really sore left knee.

went on to develop sore throat, runny nose, sneezing etc for over a week.

i think i just get sore hands/joints when ill. they dont swell though ie. appear lumpy around joints, but are a little puffy

Bonosglasses Sat 11-Nov-17 15:18:04

Don't like the sound of that RandomMess.

won't google it - yet

mnxnt42 Wed 15-Nov-17 16:30:00

You can get reactive arthritis in response to a viral infection, but not have an underlying arthritic illness.

Rotorevolution Wed 15-Nov-17 16:36:55

Same thing happened to me. 6 weeks later still doing more tests. No mention of what it is yet. Really getting me down now.

Bonosglasses Thu 16-Nov-17 09:29:31

Got some results back and my ESR and CRP are raised. GP wants to see me about these. Arthritis screen and full blood count results not back yet. So it looks like something is going on, just need to know what 😕

Bonosglasses Mon 20-Nov-17 15:27:30

More results back and more blood tests needed. LFT is satisfactory, U's and E's are normal. Iron is 9.9, so I've got to have B12 and ferritin bloods done now.

Arthritis screen still not back.

Starting to get a little concerned now

RandomMess Mon 20-Nov-17 15:54:51

flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: