Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema or allergy? Pics included

(10 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Sat 11-Nov-17 09:48:20

I used to suffer terrible eczema as a child, now as an adult it comes and goes although this time of year it’s normally at its worst.

It’s bad at the moment on my wrists and the inside of my arms. They get SO itchy and nothing seems to help. Steroid cream will clear it up temporarily but it just comes straight back.

I often get these white bumps when it’s particularly itchy (can hopefully make them out in pics) which look like hives and therefore perhaps a reaction?

I can’t think of what it could be though - and why only at this time of year?

ShovingLeopard Sat 11-Nov-17 09:54:17

Looks exactly like my eczema. That said, I only get it on my hands, and only as a reaction to detergents and alcohol rubs/wipes...

SleepForTheWeek Sat 11-Nov-17 09:59:00

Do you get gives too? I’ve not used anything different, I also get it around my eyes sad

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Nov-17 10:01:09

Looks like eczema. Do you use an emollient? Continuing its use after stopping the steroids can stop it recurring.
Change in temperature?
Change in clothes worn?
Heating on?
Any of those are triggers for me.

SleepForTheWeek Sat 11-Nov-17 10:07:15

The heating is probably the obvious one, although it usually calms down in February time and our heating is definitely still on then.

I use a steroid emollient but don’t like using it too often as I’m breastfeeding and it’s not recommended (I don’t think?). I use dream cream from lush other than that, which normally is great on my skin.

Luckily at his time of year my bare arms aren’t often out by my eyes really bother me

Flicketyflack Sat 11-Nov-17 10:10:47

Looks like eczema hydrocortisone cream from chemist will ease the itching 😊

Veterinari Sat 11-Nov-17 10:11:57

I get this as a reaction to some hand washes

Do you wear gloves for washing up OP? It looks like my skin does when the detergent gets inside the arm/wrist of washing up gloves and irritates the skin.

Flicketyflack Sat 11-Nov-17 10:13:24

Once it has gone use emollient (diprobase etc) x

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Nov-17 10:29:45

I second diprobase though different people prefer different things. Wash with something non scented. I use aqueous cream as a soap when it's bad.
Apply emollient frequently and a LOT of it! If using steroids. Steroids first. Give it half an hour and then emollient.

Neolara Sat 11-Nov-17 10:31:43

It looks like eczema but it can appear as a reaction to an allergen. I get eczema on my hands from washing up liquid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now