Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to up my iron levels

(6 Posts)
swansong81 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:58:36

Hi. I’m in a catch 22.

I take levothyroxine for my thyroid but desperately need to up my iron levels, Vit D levels and b vitamins.

With all these vitamins interacting I’m feeling like I’m in a mine field as I know I should not take iron near my levothyroxine.

Can I take b vitamins, Vit d and iron together?

What the best iron to take?

My hair is so thin now - I’m feeling horrible. Desperate to sort things out.

Groovee Fri 10-Nov-17 12:59:42

Start with spa tone and try upping iron rich foods. Cut out caffeine as it can prevent iron absorption.

Delatron Fri 10-Nov-17 16:23:44

I'd second spatone. Much easier on the tummy too than iron tablets. Best taken with vitamin c to increase absorption (mine have vit c in them). As said above avoid tea/coffee and also any calcium rich food (so gap between breakfast and spatone).

So I have spatone when I wake on an empty stomach with hot water and lemon for
more vit c. Wait at least half an hour then I'll have my breakfast and then take vitamin d with breakfast as mine says take after food (think it helps absorption) vitamin b at this time too.

TheLongRider Fri 10-Nov-17 17:30:59

I have controlled hypothyroid. I take levothyroxine in the morning and any other multivitamins in the evening. There's enough time between the doses.

swansong81 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:00:24

Thank you. I think Evening is the way forward.

I have spatone and take it diluted with ribena.

Can I take B, Iron and D together?

Thanks

MNOverinvestor Fri 10-Nov-17 18:07:08

Eating iron-rich food is a good idea - steak, dark chocolate are both good as is spinach. Iron is absorbed better if you take vitamin C with it. So, yes, orange juice but also peppers and strawberries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now