Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

High cholesterol despite change in diet

(37 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:37:05

Just had my blood test resaults back and my cholesterol is quite high. I asked for it to be tested as when it was tested a couple of years ago it was quite high but at the time I was overweight and my diet wasn't great. I am now a size 10, I go to the gym most days and I eat healthier (less fat and plenty of fruit and veg). So I was hoping my cholesterol would be lower.

Both my parents have high cholesterol and have been told that some people just do and it's hard to lower it. So is that possible? If I can't lower it are there not long term risks?

TorNayDoh Thu 09-Nov-17 10:40:32

I had my cholesterol done recently and it was quite high, but historically has always been fine despite having it in the family. The GP asked me if I'd made any dietary changes - the only thing I'd changed is that I used to have porridge for breakfast pretty much every day and I'd stopped. Apparently porridge/oats can make a significant difference, have you tried that?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 09-Nov-17 10:41:18

A dietician told me only about 20% of your cholesterol reading is influenced by diet, the rest is genetics.

NannyR Thu 09-Nov-17 10:43:01

Has your gp mentioned the possibility of inherited high cholesterol (familial hypercholesterolaemia, I think!). We have it in our family - I had very high cholesterol (11) with no other symptoms, diet alone does very little to reduce the levels and I take statins daily which keeps it under control.

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:48:40

Tor I quite often have porridge, I didn't realise that could effect it, maybe I will swap for something else.

NannyR yes, I think there's a strong possibility that it's inherited, maybe I need to ask my gp about satins, I'm not sure if my mum takes anything for hers but GP did say that it's probably not something's no that can be lowered with diet.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 09-Nov-17 10:51:27

No, the porridge helps lower cholesterol.

TheGoodEnoughWife Thu 09-Nov-17 10:52:37

I second, third that diet changes will make little difference. Mine is high, so is my Mums, brothers. Just had it checked again and it is high. Awaiting a call back from Doc as I want statins to reduce it considering my BP is now high too.

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:59:55

Thegood do you get any chest pains? Or any other symptoms? I have had pains in my chest but I always assume it's indigestion, I'm now wondering if it's the high cholesterol?

I got my blood resaults over the phone and was told my gp doesn't need to see me so I haven't spoken to the gp.

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:02:26

Viva sorry I got confused, yes, I eat porridge as I thought it would help, obviously it hasn't, maybe I need to eat more of it.

TheGoodEnoughWife Thu 09-Nov-17 11:17:48

Yes chest pains, and tingling fingers. Just spoke to Doc and having chest X-ray, ECG and then follow up on that. He mentioned statins and that is what I hope to sort out.

Aridane Thu 09-Nov-17 11:21:47

Anti depressants can also raise cholestrol

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:00:42

I, not on any medication other than the contraceptive pill. Maybe I should speak to my gp about the chest pains? I will try and make a appointment for next week.

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:01:59

I'm

McDoggle Thu 09-Nov-17 12:04:48

The pill can cause raised cholesterol. It's not routinely tested for in the UK but is in the country I live in and I was found to have high cholesterol too. Consider changing your contraception before starting statins.

zzzzz Thu 09-Nov-17 12:07:46

Cut out dairy, cut out meat fat before cooking, never look at a coconut.

TheGoodEnoughWife Thu 09-Nov-17 12:20:27

Cutting out those things are really only go to make about a 15% difference. I get that 15% of a lot is a step in the right direction but a lot of the time this is familial. Not diet.

zzzzz Thu 09-Nov-17 12:23:13

I think exercise and water impact as well?

The whole “Mediterranean diet” and porridge for breakfast seems to be mentioned quite a lot.

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:31:28

My diet is pretty good, I don't eat much dairy as I can't tolerate it, I eat mainly fish and chicken and loads of fruit and veg. I have the occasional take away but I try and chose a healthier option. I have made drastic changes to my diet over the past 2 years but have seen no difference in my cholesterol.

zzzzz Thu 09-Nov-17 12:37:31

Do you take the fat off all meat before cooking? Do you use butter or coconut?

BabyDreams2018 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:50:25

Use low fat products.
Avoid or lower your saturated fats intake.
Grill food instead of frying.
Get a heart monitor for exercise to ensure your heart is getting a work out when exercising.
Cholesterol is a silent killer. Definitely ring your GPS about chest pain and get an ECG done.

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:52:36

I don't really eat fatty meat (probably have red meat once a month, and that's a steak without any fat), only really eat fish and chicken breasts. I don't touch coconut oil or butter, I use the spray oil occasionally but most my food is grilled or cooked in the oven. I treat myself with a bit of chocolate now and again or a bit of cake but again it's just occasionally.

zzzzz Thu 09-Nov-17 13:03:31

Do you take the skin off the chicken before you cook it?

What about cheese?

Your diet sounds good.

SandysMam Thu 09-Nov-17 13:05:26

How high are we talking?

Lovemusic33 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:09:45

I buy skinless chicken breasts, very occasionally I will eat some skin if I do roast chicken ( can't resist ). I don't eat much cheese, again because I can't tolerate much dairy.

Sandy, I think they said it's 6.6 but can't remember, I think it's meant to be lower than 5?

TheGoodEnoughWife Thu 09-Nov-17 13:15:40

Are folk missing that this is not diet based?!

For those who take all their fat off, don’t eat chicken skin and so on, if you don’t have high cholesterol this is mostly coincidence!

Like me saying ‘oh, my child is an angel - that’s my parenting’

High cholesterol is often familial - as in it occurs in families and is not due to diet (my Mum is thin and eats healthily and had a cholesterol of 13.1 - has been on statins for many years since)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: