Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

False Teeth

(9 Posts)
missisl24 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:43:38

Hi everyone,
I am just trying to get some true idea about false teeth. Although my front 6 top and 6 bottom teeth are ok I have problems with all my other teeth becoming looser and dentist has now said that nothing can be done to save these ones.
My mum and sister both lost all their teeth in their thirties so I have done better getting to 48.
False teeth really scare me even though I know some of the modern ones are good.
Can anyone give me true accounts of how they have got on having the procedure from start to finish ie: teeth removed and then dentures fitted.
The pain I am in every day is ridiculous and I know having my loose teeth removed is the way forward but would love to hear from people that have been through a similiar experience.

Thanks in advance

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Wed 08-Nov-17 17:48:32

A friend of mine used to suffer from horrific toothache. She had the majority of her top teeth taken out, and a dental plate made. They did it under conscious sedation over the period of quite a few weeks, with check ups in between. I think at one point, she had to wear a retainer (?) Or something over her teeth, to cover up a couple of missing ones, whilst they were added to the plate. It was a complete palaver but she says it was the best thing she ever did

missisl24 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:54:19

Thanks for your reply.
I know my mum and sister both say it is the best thing they have ever done after the first initial pain.
I know that the modern methods are good but its always good to hear personal experiences.

Thank you.

grannycake Wed 08-Nov-17 18:03:47

I finally lost all my teeth in the summer of 2016. It does take a while to get used to it and the bottom teeth are much harder to get used to. But they look fantastic and I don't think people can tell unless I share with them and even better no pain or worry that one will fall out and leave me with a noticeable gap. Psychologically it was hard and I don't take them out at night but on balance I am pleased. If you have any questions feel free to ask me

missisl24 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:13:17

Grannycake Aww thanks for replying. I know I have never seen my mum or sister without theirs but they both never take them out only to clean them. I know that bottom ones are meant to be harder. Which kind of dentures do you wear if you don't mind me asking, there are so many different ones now. also if you don't mind did you have yours done NHS or private??

grannycake Wed 08-Nov-17 18:28:33

I had nhs top ones for a while and they were ok but when I knew I was going to lose the few remaining teeth on the top and all the bottom ones I decided that I couldn't afford implants but it was worth getting the best false teeth I could afford. I found a fantastic dentist locally and because your mouth changes shape (which affects the fit) he added a couple of teeth to my existing plate on the top. A couple of months later I had the bottom teeth removed and had an NHS plate. After about 6 months I had two new plates made privately. The plates themselves aren't that different but the time taken to get the fit right was what makes them so much better. Also because they were all made together they no longer had to match my existing teeth so I could also go a couple of shades whiter. All in all it took about 12 months - partly because I work full time in an FE college so did it all in the holidays. I would say including the extractions it was the best part of £1600 but that cost was spread over a year

missisl24 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:48:44

Grannycake, thanks for that really detailed reply. My dentist does both nhs and private so I am going to get the best of both worlds hopefully. I have budgeted for about 2000 pounds. I know the general consensus seems to be that private ones are better than nhs. I am going on Monday so hopefully will have a better idea of what is on offer and how extensive the damage is.
Thanks so much again.

grannycake Wed 08-Nov-17 18:54:29

Happy to help. No one likes to talk about false teeth so we all think we are the only ones it happens too. We need to be more honest about it. Hope it all goes well for you but remember it does take time. You have to learn to eat again. I ate lots of soup and yoghurt for what seemed like weeks. You will also feel horrible after the extractions so be prepared for that as well as that took me by surprise.

missisl24 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:06:49

Grannycake, thanks again. I have had 5 extractions already and know that is the worst. I am only eating soft foods as my mouth is so sore. I am just thinking that I will have a rough few months but hopefully come out the other end not ashamed to smile and being able to eat and drink properly again. Caz x
Thanks so much you have made me feel a lot better smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now