Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why does my belly keep exploding?!

(60 Posts)
llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:20:09

I’m a size 8-10 and short. My stomach keeps expanding and I look pregnant. Iv been to the doctors in the past about it and they just say IBS which I don’t believe it is as medication made no difference and I don’t get constipated or get the runs etc. Some foods make it worse like wheat and dairy so I avoid these. It’s particulary bad at the moment and I don’t know why. Can anyone help?! I’ve attached a photo of me this morning. I have NO physical food in my stomach, iv already opened my bowels (sorry tmi) iv had a slim fast with almond milk and a coffee. Just to see....

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:20:32

And no I’m NOT pregnant. It would have to be immaculate conception!

Sentimentallentil Tue 07-Nov-17 08:21:14

I get this and it’s hormone based, it’s always worse before my period

RavingRoo Tue 07-Nov-17 08:21:45

Have you had you ovaries looked at?

wobblywonderwoman Tue 07-Nov-17 08:22:30

That is really really annoying. Water retention perhaps?

Caulk Tue 07-Nov-17 08:23:35

I had that an it was an ovarian cyst.

DearTeddyRobinson Tue 07-Nov-17 08:23:41

There was a post a while ago about this and the poster ended up being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I know that sounds like scaremongering and I don't meant it to be, there were tons of other symptoms too I think. But can you push for a scan to check all is well in that department?
Otherwise could it be gas? Do you gulp your food & drink?

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:26:36

I had an internal scan a while ago, can’t remember what for, my ovaries were fine then, maybe a year ago. I’m on cerazette so I don’t have periods? If it’s water retention how do you get rid of it? My diet is healthy although I’m currently trying to cut down on sugar to see if that helps. Don’t have fizzy drinks at all. Gp always talks about stomach (IBS) as supposed to anything to do with uterus/periods ect?

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:27:10

If I had a cyst, wouldn’t I have other problems?

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:27:47

Because I’m relatively small all over (and a short arse) I look pregnant and it’s hard finding clothes to cover it.

moonlight1705 Tue 07-Nov-17 08:28:36

My DSis has developed an intolerance to gluten and her stomach expands every time she has a small bit of gluten.

I wonder if you have developed something like that? She now has gone completely gluten free and it doesn't happen anymore.

Caulk Tue 07-Nov-17 08:29:06

I had no issues with a cyst until intense pain. I’d noticed the bloated stomach but ignored it. However, if you’ve had a scan then it would have already been picked up.

Do you have an IBS nurse? Ask them?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 07-Nov-17 08:29:30

IBS is rarely helped by medication.

Have you tried a FODMAP exclusion diet to identify triggers? Whilst wheat is common, it could also be potato, peas, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions.... The list goes on.

Pay to see a proper nutritionist privately, ad the NHS queues are enormous. It cost me about £170 across three appointments and made an enormous difference for my IBS, and had picked up all my triggers. Peas are the work of the devil.

dudsville Tue 07-Nov-17 08:31:19

Do you wake up to a flat belly? Is it painful when it boats up?

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:32:24

I haven’t had any wheat today, or yesterday. I barely have any as I know this definitely makes me bloat and gives me a stomach ache. I can’t afford to go private sad

Yes a GP gave me the FODMAP diet a while ago. I know that potatoes, wheat and dairy are my enemies.

Ropsleybunny Tue 07-Nov-17 08:33:08

I’d ask for a scan of your ovaries.

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:34:48

Wouldn’t it be one sided if there was a cyst on the ovary though? The only pain I get in that area is when I joke iv ‘pulled an ovary’. Almost as though you’ve moved too fast and pulled a muscle but in the area where the ovary is if that makes sense? And that’s not regularly?

JeffreyNeedsAHobby Tue 07-Nov-17 08:44:17

OMG I've got this too! Also went for an internal scan about a year ago and nothing. Had an ovarian cyst 3 yrs ago .01mm too small to operate on - this feels like it is all over the abdomen though. Like I have a very full bladder all of the time but bigger...I've not been back to the Dr as I felt I was wasting their time what with it being too small to remove last time.
My arms and legs are still skinny but i've gone from a 10 waist to a 12/14 in a year confused

Caulk Tue 07-Nov-17 08:52:05

My stomach was bloated all over, but the cyst was 20x17x15cm so took up a lot of space!

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:52:52

My belly feels ‘full’. I don’t know what it’s full of! Probably gas! Even drinking a glass of water makes my belly bloat and hurt so I don’t Think mine can be related to my ovaries. I don’t have any periods due to cerazette so it isn’t even related to periods in any way as I don’t have any!

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:53:25

caulk that is big! Was your belly bloated all the time?

hollowtree Tue 07-Nov-17 08:54:28

I have endometriosis and mine looks like that all of the time, if you have heavy/irregular periods perhaps you could get that checked?

llmb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:57:04

Iv been checked for that before, although a long time ago. I can’t remember why I had an internal scan, but it was a couple of years ago, more than 2 years..

Clafoutis Tue 07-Nov-17 09:05:40

Anecdotal, I know but a colleague's abdomen expanded like that and she had a pelvic infection. She didn't have any pain either.

DartmoorDoughnut Tue 07-Nov-17 09:10:05

I saw a post on scary mommy and the woman looked exactly like you do, it was endometriosis.

I’ll try and find a link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now