Talk

Advanced search

I look terrible

(5 Posts)
anothernetter Mon 06-Nov-17 21:49:51

Hi,

(I've name changed for this)

I'm not sure what to do - well I probably need to go to the doctor (again) but I'm not sure they will be able to help to be honest.

I'm worried about my weight. I look terrible. I have always been thin (not in a good way - this isn't a bragging post) and I have had countless comments over the years telling me so and that I need to put weight on.

My mum came round to visit today and remarked that I look too thin (as she often does) and she's right I look thinner than ever - painfully thin. I'm about 5 foot 4 and normally weigh around 7st 2/3. I haven't weighed myself tonight because I'm worried I've lost weight. I could really do with putting a stone on and being able to maintain a healthy weight.

Over the years I have tried to put weight on - (I eat junk, drink full fat milk, eating cheese etc). I have been to the doctor in the past and they told me that as long as I eat enough then there is nothing to worry about but I'm not buying this because I don't look well at all. I have dark circles under my eyes and my face looks drawn. Today at one point I felt like I was going to pass out. I used to have heart palpatations but these stopped a couple of years ago.

I am a very anxious person and I think it might be partly down to this. Im always worried about something. At the moment I am worried about work because there is a lot of uncertainty in my department and I feel totally unprepared should I ever need to find another job. I actually woke up in the middle of the night having a panic attack a few weeks ago because of this. I'm also worried about my dad who has health issues and I have problems with my in-laws which is causing a lot of grief. I do not want to discuss my anxiety with my doctor because I don't want it being noted on my medical records.

Has anyone else been through this - can you advise? Its really starting to get me down to be honest and I just don't know what to do.

lovemylover Mon 06-Nov-17 22:54:08

It could be stress related, I always lose weight when I am stressed or worried,i find it very hard to put weight on, and because you have lost weight you are bound to look drawn
I would still go back and ask for blood tests nd a good check over though
I hate losing weight, because I'm the same I ,look ill when stressed
Are you sleeping well, probably not if you are anxious
Nothing worse than stress for messing with your looks
Go hve another talk to your Dr, at least it might ease your mind

lovemylover Mon 06-Nov-17 22:56:13

Just to add, your medical notes are private, but until you get to the root of your anxiety you wont help yourself

educatingarti Mon 06-Nov-17 23:02:55

Has your doctor checked your thyroid. If it is overactive it can cause anxiety, palpitations and weight loss.

Delatron Tue 07-Nov-17 20:20:51

Agree that you need to go back to the gp for more tests. Could be thyroid related.
Also, the dark circles and palpitations sound like you may be anaemic.

Stress and anxiety can cause weight loss and havs a negative impact on your appearance. I think it would be good to chat to the doctor about your anxiety too if you could.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: