Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Constant headaches

(13 Posts)
marmeemarch1 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:14:40

Hi, I'm really fed up with having a headache all the time. I wake up with it and it usually goes off in the morning and then it's back in the evening. I know it's probably stress but I am too exhausted to do anything about being stressed!!! I get migraines as well and sometimes the headaches tip into migraines and I have medication that works well for that but I just can't stand feeling constantly worn down.
Has anyone ever found anything helpful that helps them deal with headaches?
TIA

uncoolnn Mon 06-Nov-17 18:16:07

Sorry I’m no help but I’m watching with interest. Sadly it sounds very familiar sad

marmeemarch1 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:10:23

I sympathise with you uncoolnn, it's really frustrating

willyougotobed Mon 06-Nov-17 21:22:15

The two times I had a long phase of headaches:

The first time it was due to excess spinal fluid in my head (found by optician on routine eye test) and treated in hospital (it's called IIH).

The second time was due to bunged up sinuses (even though I didn't have a blocked nose). I was getting a slight sore throat, slight earache with my headaches and GP suggested some steroid nasal spray. It seemed to dislodge a vast amount of gunk and my headaches resolved within a week.

retirednow Mon 06-Nov-17 21:22:46

Any problems with your eyesight, that can cause headaches, can be sinus problems, not drinking enough fluids, there are loads of things that can cause headaches. at night I put lavender oil on the pillow which helps me relax and get better sleep.

TotemIcePole Mon 06-Nov-17 21:24:15

Dehydration and an eye test are the two things I always look at, when I get severe headaches, and any medication or diet changes also.

esk1mo Mon 06-Nov-17 21:32:12

do you grind your teeth at night? is your jaw tense/sore? have a google of TMJ and see if it sounds familiar.

i had daily headaches for 7 months, turned out to be tension from tight shoulder muscles and also grinding my teeth/clenching my jaw. amitriptyline for 6 months sorted it as well as yoga and massage

endofthelinefinally Mon 06-Nov-17 21:36:54

Do you have a comfortable mattress and pillow?
Have you checked your blood pressure?

marmeemarch1 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:44:20

Thanks all, I do get regular eye checks as I wear contact lenses. Drinking water -can definitely try and improve that. No major changes, I have always had headaches on and off but this just feels like it's ongoing. Not heard of TMJ before -will look that up. My shoulder muscles and neck muscles are definitely tense! Will have to work on that. Will try some lavender oil, think I probably have some in the cupboard. Think my mattress and pillow are ok. My nurse colleagues checked my bp which is on the low side of normal, which is a miracle! Thanks for the ideas

retirednow Mon 06-Nov-17 21:58:03

working in healthcare? just that can be stressful, do you have to work shifts, having disturbed sleep worrying about work and getting up early can give people headaches. why not treat yourself to a neck and shoulder massage.

moonmaker Mon 06-Nov-17 22:12:25

Recently went through the same , worst ever spell was a four day long full on migraine . It didn’t respond to paracetamol or ibuprofen but dh went to the late night pharmacy as I was in agony with it and came back with aspirin-3 of those in water got rid of it

Gobletofgin Tue 07-Nov-17 07:13:55

My gp told me to try aspirin for these sorts of headaches, I found taking full dose of aspirin if I woke up with a headache very effective. It also gave me a a chance to stop taking paracetamol or ibuprofen which can give rebound headaches it taken too often.

marmeemarch1 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:39:55

Thank you, never thought of aspirin before. Will give it a go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: