Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Biopsy resuts

(18 Posts)
lovemylover Sun 05-Nov-17 21:10:45

Does anyone know how long it takes for Biopsy and MRI results please
Maybe a nurse on here?

Hmmmmmmmmmm10 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:14:59

What type of biopsy? Usually good news travels slowly. Maybe call the department and ask so you get a better idea of what to expect?

lovemylover Mon 06-Nov-17 08:55:58

Thank you for reply, not mine ,partners for prostate cancer
Had MRI over 2 weeks ago, biopsy only last week, but didn't think it would take long for a cancer one,especially as he has had cancer before

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 06-Nov-17 08:59:32

My partner had his biopsy on 30/12 last year and his MRI that day and got the results on 13/1 this year.
FYI biopsy is belt and braces, but generally MRI and digital examination are now considered the most important prognostic indicators. I did a huge amount of research when DP was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he was told on the very first day he saw the urologist that it was cancer. Everything else was staging to determine treatment course.

lovemylover Mon 06-Nov-17 09:19:30

Oh thank you, he has to see the urologist on Wednesday, I wonder if they will tell him then ,its such a strain this waiting
He was rushed into hospital end of may with pain and not able to wee,he had an infection, and enlarged prostate,but ended up with sepsis
The tests have been going on since then. including seeing Consultants ,and Drs and blood tests
Had you partner had all these tests too by the time he saw the urologist?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:05

My partner had an elevated PSA on a routine blood test. Saw the consultant on 29/12 was told he had prostate cancer after digital exam and ultrasound. Had MRI and biopsy on 30/12.

lovemylover Mon 06-Nov-17 23:14:57

My partner had a fairly high PSA but apparently it doesn't always mean cancer, he had a digital exam I think ,sent home with ABs,then rushed in again when he couldn't pass urine, but really all started when he was rushed in with 40dg temperature and found enlarged prostate and ended up with sepsis
Your partner got results after 2 weeks approx. ?
How long after so they could tell just by digital exam?
He has had biopsy, your partner didn't? is that right,
I wonder if something was seen on the MRI which is the reason for biopsy then
He was already down for a prostate shave,[I think its called] to take pressure off the bladder,
Did your partner see the urologist after all the other exams?
How is your partner now?
Also, sorry if too personal,[ you don't have to answer,] but has it affected his sex life
He is hoping it wont in the end, as we have not been together a long time,but of course his health is priority, but if not it might take a while to recover

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-Nov-17 12:05:22

He did have a biopsy, but it was just to confirm the ultrasound, digital, MRI findings.
He has T1, N0, M0 prostate cancer so confined to prostate. He originally had a PSA of 9, it is now less than 1 after treatment with anti-androgen tablets that he takes daily.
He sees the urologist every three months for digital exam and PSA. If the anti-androgens stop working he is likely to have the radiotherapy beads inserted directly into his prostrate.
Currently it does not affect our sex life immediately post diagnosis it did a bit mainly because he was sore rather than anything else.

lovemylover Tue 07-Nov-17 14:33:53

Thank you so much for your reply, we are hoping that if it does turn out to be cancerous it can be treated and is at an early stage
Cant remember now if I mentioned it without looking back, but he has to have an op anyway to shave the prostate to stop pressure on the bladder
He might be much older than your partner which might make a difference,he is 70
We have not been together so long and enjoying the second flush of youth lol, so would hate for it all to be lost now

lovemylover Wed 08-Nov-17 21:53:35

Just an update, no results yet, appointment with consultan on the 20th, so maybe then,hopefully good

holdbackonthewine Wed 22-Nov-17 00:11:41

I’ve been thinking of you and hoping the news was good or at least not too bad.

lovemylover Wed 22-Nov-17 09:06:16

Thank you,i got the date wrong it is today he gets the results,so keeping fingers x
Will update when i know

lovemylover Thu 23-Nov-17 17:25:53

holdbackthewineThanks for asking,he said he had got the all clear
Sounds awful, but i am wondering if hes telling me everything,as he knows i am a worrier,
It is just that he has been booked in for next week, which seems a bit quick ,for just a prostate shave
On the other hand this has been going on since end of May/beginning of June, the only problem he has is getting up several times a night,
The hospital he is booked into is in another town, about 15 miles away, which is routine really ,as our local one often sens patients
there for certain things or to see a certain surgeon or consultant
He will be in for about 3 days
Also i wonder why he had to have an MRI and then a biopsy,if they didnt suspect something wrong
As we dont live together [see profile name] lol i dont know what letters etc he has got

holdbackonthewine Thu 23-Nov-17 17:50:00

I’m sure they’ll biopsy what they unearth. My DD is an HCP and I think they’re not allowed to minimise or mislead, however painful the truth may be. I think you should be reassured but I’m sure the shave will result in testing of tissue. Fingers crossed that gives you peace of mind.

lovemylover Thu 23-Nov-17 19:42:07

Thank you, sorry what is an HCP?so they are likely to biopsy what they take off too?
Actually he has had bowel cancer in the past,and it was a neighbour of his who told me,he doesn't like talking about his ailments
His son must have mentioned it to the neighbour at some time, he didnt

holdbackonthewine Thu 23-Nov-17 20:27:41

HCP is health care professional (she’s an oncology nurse). Im just guessing that given the history they’ll take a good look at everything. Good luck with everything!

lovemylover Thu 23-Nov-17 21:23:25

Oh thank you for that, I didn't mean the hospital were not telling him everything ,but I thought he might not be telling me everything, me being such a worrier
Anyway ,at least it will be over before Christmas, and hopefully he be feeling ok by then
He seems to think after his 3 days in Hospital he will be fighting fit again and can carry on as normal,but not from what I have read
He did have tablets to try to shrink the prostate, but he said it is huge,and they didn't work

lovemylover Thu 23-Nov-17 21:28:32

Forgot to mention they also found a testicular lump, he says they think its just a cyst, but as far as I know he hasn't had a scan for that, unless it was seen on the MRI but didn't sound like it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now