Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Toothache infection help!

(10 Posts)
Bropre1205 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:47:47

Hi so basically I have an infection in my tooth, it started a week ago and it is horrific! I tried to get a dentist appointment but couldn't get one for 48 hours and even then all they were going to do was give me antibiotics to treat the infection as they can't carry out treatment whilst infection is there. So i tried keeping the pain to a minimum using paracetamol and ibuprofen and before I knew it I had taken too many. Went to a&e 3 days after tooth pain had stated and they gave me an infusion for the overdose and manged the pain with morphine for 3 days and started me on antibiotics, after the 3 days they discharged me though the pain on the day of discharge was worse than it had been since it had Started but there's only so much they can so, basically now I have been on antibiotics for 5 days and the pain is still unbearable and now swelling has appeared under my chin at the side of my throat, The antibiotics don't seem to have had any effect so far and my pain and sickness is so severe I haven't eaten a thing in 4 days, should I go back to emergency or just ride it out, it all just seems like it's getting worse!

shhhfastasleep Sun 05-Nov-17 19:54:33

Oil of cloves in the absence of other short term ideas? Sunday is a shit day for getting anything you haven’t got in the house - who has oil of cloves these days because I don’t.
Anyway it stinks like nobody’s business in your mouth but it can be a good temporary painkiller.

shhhfastasleep Sun 05-Nov-17 19:55:20

Can you manage liquid food like Complan?

shhhfastasleep Sun 05-Nov-17 19:56:11

Go back to dentist if you have swelling. Just noticed that.

user1478863011 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:56:54

Paracetomol with codine is the only thing that will touch infections for me. Also the last one I had , it helped to gargle witha bit of cold water on the spot . Only if you can tolerate the coldness though.
Hope it improves!

stripedcardigan Sun 05-Nov-17 19:58:42

Can you swill/swish salt water or coconut oil in your mouth for 5+ minutes? I've heard that can help.

stripedcardigan Sun 05-Nov-17 19:59:37

But really you should go back to a&e with that swelling!

shhhfastasleep Sun 05-Nov-17 20:02:42

Emergency dentist?

Bropre1205 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:03:54

The dentist will not treat because of infection so I don't know what good that will Do? I am us ing oral morphine at the minute and even that isn't working well so anything else suggested will have no chance! Codeine and paracetamol make absolutely no difference at all .. at this point in more worried that swelling has appeared 3 days after taking antibiotics and I cannot eat a thing I just throw it back up or it's too painful

othistledonicely Sun 05-Nov-17 20:47:20

in view of your recent history, please go to A+E now, you may need IV antibiotics, meantime, cold pack to outside of face, salty mouth wash....absolutely no clove oil...please dont delay, or if your 111 service has dental service call them now !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now