Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Food poisoning

(12 Posts)
OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 05-Nov-17 11:39:20

14 days ago DH and I had a Chinese takeaway. The next day we both became ill – temperature, diarrhoea. Let it run for 5 days but with no improvement we eventually contacted gp . Samples reveal campylobacter so we have a 7 day course of antibiotics. This is day 5. I still have diarrhoea every time I visit the loo. Sometimes this is a serious rush job with stomach cramps but other times a bit calmer. I’m drinking plenty of water and apple juice. I’m eating soup, bread and rich tea biscuits.I don’t fancy anything else…and any trial of a more solid food results in an instant visit to the loo.
Work is now my problem – I’m due back tomorrow having been on leave then self certified sick leave for the past week. I’m dreading going in and using the not very private toilets. Should I be going in if I still have diarrhoea? Would the gp think I’m a complete wuss if I ask to be signed off?
On the plus side DH is much better than me – and I have lost 9 pounds!
Any advice would be appreciated.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 05-Nov-17 18:13:26

Bump...my poor bottom!,

retirednow Sun 05-Nov-17 18:28:20

I would wait until antibiotics course has finished and usual advice is not to go to work until 48hrs after last bout of diarrhoea. Antibiotics can also cause diarrhoea and if you are pooping a lot then they may not be getting into your system anyway. I would call gp, would not go to work, lay off the Apple juice as that might be too acidic and irritate your stomach. You could also ask Dr if you need rehydration sachets and yoghurt can help. Speak to work as you may be able to claim back annual leave if you are off sick. Hope you feel better soon. Do environmental health and the restaurant know you got sick .

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 05-Nov-17 19:22:43

Hi. Thanks so much for the advice. I’ll ring gp in morning and try to get a phone appointment. Thanks again.

SureIusedtobetaller Sun 05-Nov-17 19:27:37

A probiotic might help settle things down. Especially as you’ve had antibiotics. I don’t think you should go to work with diarrhoea though.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 05-Nov-17 20:55:50

Probiotics tend to rush through me at speed when I’ve tried them before but I do have some live yoghurt so I’ll have that. Environmental health are aware and dealing. Thanks both.

MollyHuaCha Sun 05-Nov-17 22:29:10

Poor you flowers

Floralnomad Sun 05-Nov-17 22:34:26

I would get a sick note from the GP , which presumably you could organise with a phone call in the morning .

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sun 05-Nov-17 22:39:33

If tests have shown a bug in your poop and you need antibiotics def stay away from work. Your gp will def sign you off.

Taking Imodium to stop the diahorrea won't help as you need to flush all the shut, literally, out of your system.

Have you put in a notice to the council to let environmental health know?

OnlyTheDepthVaries Mon 06-Nov-17 20:12:27

Hi all. Thank you all so much for replying. I phoned gp this morning...and she immediately signed me off for a week. I am much relieved. Have eaten more today including live yoghurt and am feeling much brighter. I can see light at the end of the tunnel! It will be a long time until I eat Chinese again.

PlausibleSuit Mon 06-Nov-17 20:21:19

This happened to me recently. With chicken. Never. Again.

You have my sympathies.

retirednow Mon 06-Nov-17 21:03:13

Happy that you are feeling better, make sure you get enough rest this week at home. Now I know why I eat at home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now