Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Husband and testicular cancer???

(17 Posts)
897654321abcvrufhfgg Sat 04-Nov-17 21:49:31

Am so worried about my husband and he won't go to the GP. About a year ago fir a fleeting moment during sex I thought my husbands testicle felt a little bigger. At the time I was being investigated for BC and suffering from severe anxiety so put it to back of my mind and everything carried on with no problems.Over the past year husband has become run down and sufferers a lot of aches and pains and people at work have even begun to comment on how rough he looks. He is in a very stressful job and travels a lot. Last month during sex I became aware that his testicle felt a lot bigger than the other and quite firm. Husband is shrugging it off as having always s been a bit bigger but I really think there is something really wrong. He has also started to complain that his pipes don't work like they used to and started waking in the night to go to the toilet. He had a vasectomy 3 years ago. Please tell me there could be an innocent explanation as I am beside myself and he won't go to doctor.

washingmachinefastwash Sat 04-Nov-17 22:14:38

Your husband should really visit a GP.

Can you take him to the dr? Has he said why he doesn’t want to go?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 04-Nov-17 22:21:58

A dear colleague describes his experience of literally "sitting on the problem" for months. He then realised that by participating in Movember, he needed to do something about his own worries.

A week later he was on the table having his testicle removed. It was cancerous.

A year to the day after his diagnosis and his lovely wife had her successful 12 week scan for baby number 2.

He is so glad he acted. He is healthy and fit as a butcher's dog.

Can you use the Movember campaign to get through to your husband?

I'm sorry, it must be terrifying.

897654321abcvrufhfgg Sat 04-Nov-17 22:24:16

He never ever goes to the doctor and after I made him go last time because his back was playing him up (think on all 4's on the floor) and the doctor treated him like an idiot and said he was just getting old (he was 38) he vowed never to bother them again. He said he would mention something when he gets his over 40 check but the doctors haven't even called him in for it yet.

MrsKnightley Sat 04-Nov-17 22:24:47

DH has just had this. Quick scan. Dr drained it and sent fluid for testing.

Rarely cancer except in young men (DH is 55) and Dr not worried. Can be age, slight trauma, infection. It may refill, may now be gone.

Probably nothing.

Apparently very common and our Dr drains several a year.

Nifflerbowtruckle Sat 04-Nov-17 22:28:25

Your husband definitely needs to go to the gp ASAP. Is he a stick his head in the sand type? My husband has testicular cancer and because although he went to the gp they brushed it off twice he was stage 3 by the time he was diagnosed. There are lots of symptoms of testicular cancer; a lump, a skin change, one testicle growing bigger, a heavy sensation in the scrotum. If you search my name you’ll find some info about my DH.

Namethecat Sat 04-Nov-17 22:36:19

He really needs to get to the GP . Tell him vowing not to go because of a past experience is burying you head in the sand.Go with him for support. My oh had a lump in his that felt sort of wormy (!) He was told it was a varicose vein and easily operated on. Good luck.

897654321abcvrufhfgg Sat 04-Nov-17 22:45:48

Nifflerbowtruckle yes he is a bury head in sand sort. Shit.

Footle Sun 05-Nov-17 09:14:41

OP, don’t take MrKnightley’s experience as reassurance. It might be a benign hydrocele or it might not. Your DH is being very stupid. Does he have a parent or sibling who might help you encourage him to see the GP?

GreatThingsWork Sun 05-Nov-17 09:25:58

My DH is the same with doctors so I have to use guilt. I tell him how unfair he's being on me and DCs. If this doesn't work I would also have a telephone consultation with his doctor and politely tell him the effect his dismissal has had on DH. I would also tell him about the testicle and ask if he can be called in for his over 40 early. If you are reluctant to speak to the doctor make an appointment with a nurse at the practice and explain your anxiety.

897654321abcvrufhfgg Sun 05-Nov-17 09:55:23

I have thought about asking doctor to call in early for health check

MrsKnightley Sun 05-Nov-17 13:47:46

I did not mean that it would definitely be nothing. I just wanted to reassure an anxious person that the GP would see this often, be aware of the issues and that it might be something, but not necessarily cancer. DH is still waiting for the final all clear from the fluid being tested so I may be playing down my own fears.

But, it is something that most GPs will see in older men.

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:51:32

Can you book an appt for him?

897654321abcvrufhfgg Sun 05-Nov-17 19:19:07

Yes but I can't physically force him to go. Last time I booked him an appointment he cancelled it the hour before. He thinks I am over anxious. He works 6.30-7.30pm too M-F so would have to take time off to actually go.

Munchyseeds Sun 05-Nov-17 19:53:58

The thing is he does REALLY need to go...personally I would book him an appt tomorrow and make him go ( I would cry if I had to)
Have had testicular cancer in my own family...DB was 40 when it was found, testical was removed and he is fine

Tanfastic Sun 05-Nov-17 20:12:09

Why are men so crap at going to the doctors? My DH has been the same recently, I basically told him he goes and gets himself checked out or I will nag and nag and nag every single day until he does. Plead with him if you have to.

Op, he HAS to get seen.

Footle Sun 05-Nov-17 21:46:38

Why can’t some people imagine the vast amount of time they’d need to have off if they really were ill but left it too long?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now