Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Gluten free not but not celiac?

(7 Posts)
walkerandtexasranger Sat 04-Nov-17 11:19:29

Ok so my dh has been suffering with anemia and rectal bleeding. Several tests later the docs can find nothing wrong with him other than a hiatal hernia and haemorroids. He was tested for celiacs (negative).

He has cut back on caffeine and alcohol. We have also not eaten any pasta just by chance this week and he has been fine- no bleeding. He had 3 cans of lager last night and is bleeding again and feels poorly.

Could it be alcohol triggering it or the wheat in lager? Does anyone have experience of cutting out gluten for health without a celiacs diagnosis ?

Please note I am normally someone who believes in moderation and not cutting food groups but I am keen to help my dh who is really fed up.

Floralnomad Sat 04-Nov-17 11:23:18

I’d try cutting out the alcohol first .

EggysMom Sat 04-Nov-17 11:25:48

There is only wheat in lager if he buys specific wheat beer/lager. Most are hops with malted barley.

But for his health, maybe he should give up alcohol?

PurplePillowCase Sat 04-Nov-17 11:29:02

how was he tested for corliacs?
if only the blood test, that's not always conclusive. he would need a biopsy (colonoscopy) to be sure.

but yes, he could be gluten intolerant/allergic to wheat.

debbs77 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:37:57

I bleed when I poo when I have eaten wheat. I don't bleed when I don't. Have also been checked and nothing came back.

So maybe he could just avoid all wheat? It's great to not have the bloated feeling of wheat

walkerandtexasranger Sat 04-Nov-17 11:54:12

purple He had a biopsy taken whilst having a colonoscopy. So it definitely isn't celiacs but there seems to be correlation.

eggysmum he drinks carlsberg or corona usually. He used to drink a fair bit in his twenties but he only has a few cabs of lager once or twice a week.

debbs interesting... maybe dh is the same?

I think I will ask him to try going gluten free for a couple of weeks and then see what happens... the only alcohol he drinks is lager so if he cuts pit wheat he will be alcohol free by default!

walkerandtexasranger Sat 04-Nov-17 12:15:53

Afaik eggysmum gluten is wheat and barley.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: