Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

blood in urine

(13 Posts)
anyoldname76 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:31:17

just wondering if anyone else has hsd a similar experience. i went for a health checkup and the nurse said i had blood in my urine,although it looked normal to me. i had to take another sample the day after and that had blood in it so it was sent of for analysis. i dont have any symptoms of an infection.
anyway the doctors called today and ive got to go see the gp on Monday to discuss the results, they wouldnt tell me over the phone.
im hoping its nothing but i do get anxious over health stuff as i have high blood pressure and had a stroke and a tia a few years ago.

Babbitywabbit Thu 02-Nov-17 23:06:29

Good that they’re checking it out, but there’s a good chance it’ll be inconclusive. Microscopic traces of blood seem to be surprisingly common. I had this last year; blood showed up in 2 dip tests but then just disappeared... never found out why.

anyoldname76 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:12:06

thank you, if it was inconclusive though i wish they had told me over the phone instead of wasting an appointment on monday

Lily2007 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:07:24

If you had your period its very normal to have blood in urine samples, had this a few times and they do nothing.

If its not they will probably want to run some other checks and its best to have these just to rule out anything serious. I wouldn't worry though a miniscule bit of blood can come from lots of innocent things.

toomuchhappyland Fri 03-Nov-17 11:56:13

I always get blood in urine when I have a uti, even if it doesn’t hurt that much. Antiobiotics clear it up. They may want to send you for a kidney scan to rule out kidney stones. Your mind has probably jumped straight to kidney or bladder cancer - bladder cancer is rare and usually affects men exposed to industrial chemicals. Kidney cancer is rare in the under-50s, more common after that but very treatable if caught early, and still very unlikely to be the cause of the blood. Try not to worry.

MustBeThin Fri 03-Nov-17 12:08:08

I always have blood in my urine when I do a sample hmm I never used to. When it first showed up I had to have an ultrasound on my kidney/bladder then a cystoscopy. Nothing was found so the doctors weren't concerned. This all started when I was about 20 and I'm 28 now but I have blood show up in every single sample.

Themummy76 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:48:32

Could be your kidneys which would explain the high blood pressure too

Tanfastic Fri 03-Nov-17 15:36:12

I always have blood (microscopic) in mine too. I've had all the investigations, kidney scam and cystoscopy which showed nothing. Consultant concluded it's just the way I am.

Try not to worry.

RinonaWyder Fri 03-Nov-17 15:39:36

I've had this lately as well, possibly related to another condition though so I had an ultrasound on my kidneys last week, still waiting to hear if they found anything but they told me they didn't expect to find anything. If you've had no other symptoms I wouldn't worry too much.

anyoldname76 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:47:35

thank you everybody, my mind does go into overdrive and imagine the worst case scenario. i suppose if they thought it was serious they would have asked me to go in straightaway

NotNowBernard1 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:44:29

OP - how old are you?

Tanfastic Fri 03-Nov-17 18:32:16

Try not to worry op, I got myself in a right old tizz when I was going through it, convinced myself I'd got something terrible, couldn't stop googling which only led me to sites such as youarefucked.com 😩.

I even went private to speak to a urologist who basically told me to pull myself together and the chances of it being anything sinister was remote. They do the tests just to make sure - that's all it really is, like anything else.

The urologist who did my cystoscopy told me that out of 20 cystoscopy he did he only "found" something in 1 or 2. When he said found something he didn't necessarily mean anything bad either.

anyoldname76 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:48:41

im 41, i do normally drink a bottle of wine at the weekend and i did used to smoke, gave up after my stroke, im overweight which is something im working on at the moment. im taking amlodipine at the moment for my blood pressure as its quite up and down. my dh is trying to put my concerns at ease,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now