Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feeling of impending doom

(33 Posts)
Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 15:39:15

Not sure if anyone will be able to offer any insight. I haven't been feeling the best for the best part of a year, quite stressed and anxious and worried a lot of the time. I'm also having trouble sleeping and heart palpitations and sweats sometimes.

I haven't gone to the doctor because I don't think i can take the time off work to go, i have had two days holiday this year in January, because the thought of not being at work also makes me anxious. I also can't seem to make myself just phone the GP, and I feel stupid trying to explain what I think is wrong, because i'm just worried all the time but not about anything sensible or specific and I don't know how to communicate that without sounding like an idiot.

The last few days I've just been crippled by this sense of impending doom. I know that sounds dramatic and stupid, but it's literally the only way I can think to describe the way I feel. I have a tight chest and feel hot and a bit tearful. I've not had this weighty feeling before and feel a bit daft.

I just wondered if anyone else had ever had this sort of thing, and whether there you found out the cause?

endofthelinefinally Thu 02-Nov-17 15:41:37

Please go and see your gp.
I know it is ha4d to get an appointment but you really dont sound well.

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 15:45:58

I don't even think it would be that hard to get an appointment with the GP to be totally honest, we have a very small surgery, but the last time I went to the GP was about 10 years ago for headaches. I feel like a total idiot. I think I could easily get an appointment I just can't do it for some reason.

I don't know what they can do to help either, it's just an irrational feeling which i understand but i can't get myself out of the frame of mind.

treaclesoda Thu 02-Nov-17 15:48:46

Yes, I've had that same feeling. In my case it was anxiety related. Which I received treatment for.

But I understand there can be physical reasons too. Please see your GP. If you haven't been there for years that's all the more reason to go smile

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 15:57:10

I just feel a bit paralysed. Like I know I should just call the GP, but it seems too much

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Nov-17 16:01:12

Could you email your doctors surgery? Most have email services nowadays.

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 16:05:37

I think they have an online booking service I could use. it's just doing it.

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 16:06:09

sorry to sound negative about any of it, I don't mean too.

EmilyAlice Thu 02-Nov-17 16:06:59

That sounds exactly how I felt with the start of the menopause.

Fucky Thu 02-Nov-17 16:07:31

I had this it was early menopause

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 16:08:32

do you mind me asking what age you had it at?

Treezees Thu 02-Nov-17 16:09:22

Might also be thyroid related. Worth getting tests!

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 16:09:39

I was probably depressed in my final year of university and have always been a bit of a worrier but this has really only started to be a noticeable or persistent problem in the last year or two, and I have been otherwise pretty healthy.

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Nov-17 16:27:10

Start off just writing and saving an email draft. Baby steps. Something like:

Hello

I am feeling very anxious and unable to phone the doctors surgery. I need a doctor's appointment.

for the best part of a year, quite stressed and anxious and worried a lot of the time. I'm also having trouble sleeping and heart palpitations and sweats sometimes.

Please reply by email or text to xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Vitalogy Thu 02-Nov-17 16:48:00

What about having a go at meditating.

IncyWincySpiderOnRepeat Thu 02-Nov-17 19:26:27

Are you taking a contraceptive pill? I always found mine made me feel very anxious that something bad was about to happen...

SallyLockhartsDog Thu 02-Nov-17 19:31:15

"sense of impending doom" is exactly how I describe my feelings to DH!

I'm no help as have been feeling like this for a year or two too. I went to the doctor a month ago...she did loads of blood tests (thyroid etc) but they were all fine. Her only advice was to stop breastfeeding. But that just seems like a insurmountable task at the moment.

I wish I could be more help flowers

MrsSifB Thu 02-Nov-17 19:34:48

This is exactly how I described it when I had very bad anxiety triggered after a health scare many years ago (once the health scare had gone away). There was nothing wrong but had the feeling of impending doom. You need to see you gp, they WILL be able to help you.

GummyGoddess Thu 02-Nov-17 19:43:15

Doctors appointment is needed, a sense of impending doom can be a sign of lots of things, not just anxiety related.

elephantoverthehill Thu 02-Nov-17 19:44:42

I am only first aid trained but a sense of 'impending doom' is a marker that needs to be checked out medically so I was told during my training. Do go to your GP.

Fucky Thu 02-Nov-17 19:53:44

Sorry popped out. 37

Themummy76 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:00:49

Well you’ve got many of the symptoms of a heart attack that affect women so I think you need to go to the gp ASAP. Don’t wish to scare you - but also don’t want you to keep ignoring something that should be checked out

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling good. Just to throw a random idea out, but do you happen to suffer from low blood pressure? That can produce a feeling of impending doom and be most unpleasant.

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 22:05:26

I have been on doctor google, I didn’t really realise impending doom was an actual symptom of that makes sense.

I’m not on any medication or BF or anything, but my blood pressure I suspect is at times a bit low, get dizzy if I stand up too fast etc.

Google didn’t make me feel better, but I think it’s sort of convinced me that even if it’s all in my head it’s not a completely stupid thing to say to a doctor.

I will try and call tomorrow to make an appointment, what do I say when the receptionist asks though? Can I just say I don’t feel very good?

elephantoverthehill Thu 02-Nov-17 22:15:44

Bumble just tell the receptionist how you are feeling, it is a flag to medical bods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now