Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

any phlebotomists - exceptionally speedy blood test results??

(5 Posts)
PoppyPopcorn Wed 01-Nov-17 17:24:17

I had a thyroid function test at the GP's a month ago which came back abnormal. I was asked to come back in 4 weeks for a follow-up and had another test at 9am this morning.

The surgery have just called and asked me to make an appointment to come in and discuss results with the GP. I am assuming it's in reference to the test but isn't this a bit quick?? Blood taken at 9am, sent somewhere to a lab, tested, results fed back to GP and patient called all within 8 hours?

Maybe paranoid but I'm hoping it's nothing sinister and that my GP and phlebotomist are just incredibly efficient.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 01-Nov-17 18:39:40

If we send bloods off first thing we have them back and filed in notes routinely that day. As soon as the bloods are tested the results are sent electronically and then filed in the notes electronically. (As long as the secure link is working) so yes, nothing to worry about just better IT systems.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 01-Nov-17 18:42:57

Lab will often process bloods the same day and results are uploaded instantly/electronically and GPs can access that system (at least in some areas).

So nothing unusual in that. Though I'm guessing your results may still be slightly abnormal if they want you in to talk about them? Or it could be that they're normal but if you went to gp with feeling unwell then maybe they want to discuss other investigations?

PoppyPopcorn Wed 01-Nov-17 18:45:39

No I'm pretty sure that they're still abnormal and I've been summoned in to discuss thyroxine. And for all the threads about how difficult it is to get an appointment, I was offered the choice of two times tomorrow morning.

Great service from the NHS though - although the receptionists still tell you to wait a week for test results!

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 01-Nov-17 18:48:28

I had very speedy blood results earlier this summer, op - they called me on Saturday morning!! Turned out that my wbcs were rather lower than they like to see, but only by a bit.

I was told to come back in a few months to retest, and coincidentally just did so this Monday gone. So we shall see....

Good luck op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now