Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I ask how your breast cancer 'started'?

(15 Posts)
MrsHass Tue 31-Oct-17 22:02:48

Sorry to ask such a sensitive question.
I'm wondering how your breast cancer 'started'? What prompted you to go to the Dr and have it checked?

I ask because a couple of days ago I felt a lump in my breast. But not a proper lump. It's hard to describe it, but I can just feel something in the breast which I haven't felt before. It's not a hard, raised, pea lump, just something feels different - and I do check my breasts regularly. But my veins are very prominent (always have been) and I've always been very noduley/knobbly under the skin.

I have a Dr appt tomorrow anyway for something else, and I probably will mention it - even though i feel a bit silly because I don't think the Dr would be able to feel anything. It's just that it feels different to me.

I'm not being doom and gloom - I'm aware it's most likely nothing (and my overactive imagination) or something harmless, but it got me thinking, and if you wouldn't mind sharing then what was the 'start' of your breast cancer diagnosis, if you don't mind sharing?

lljkk Tue 31-Oct-17 22:36:47

Try not to take this badly... are you one of the legion of people on MN with health anxiety? I only ask b/c folk with HA seem to struggle to figure out what is truly different. And you are talking about something that is very subtlely different even by your standards.

Just found out my neighbour has had 8 months of treatment for BC. Friend announced her diagnosis over the weekend. Feeling a bit overwhelmed by so many people I know having BC. sad

MrsHass Tue 31-Oct-17 22:43:58

Nope, no health anxiety at all. In fact, I had gallstones for months and months (and they are FUCKING HELLISH) before I went to the Dr's. In fact, I tend to always think that things will work out fine. So, I'm not 'worried' as such, but I have felt a difference, hence my question.

Sorry to hear about your neighbour and friend. I actually don't know anyone who has had breast cancer fortunately. A school friend of mine died last year from throat cancer - he was 36, had a child less than a year old and had only got married the year before. And my work colleague died earlier this year from cancer. She had gone in for a hysterectomy and they found cancer. She died less than 6 months later. Cancer is a bastard.

thenightsky Tue 31-Oct-17 22:47:14

My mum had it at the age of 42. She said she was stood in front of the mirror, topless, and noticed a tiny area of puckered skin, pulling inwards.

She had the op and lived with no more cancer ever until she died of old age two years ago when she was 87.

nappyrat Tue 31-Oct-17 23:00:39

OP I have no experience but get it checked. A lot of the advice I’ve read is that if you notice any changes you should get it checked. Trust yourself

DowntheTown Tue 31-Oct-17 23:00:58

Hi op.

Don't feel silly and DO mention it. If it's feeling different to you it's absolutely worth mentioning.

I've had bc - found a small hard lump when in the shower. Turned out that wasn't cancerous, but there were two cancerous lumps behind it - that I couldn't actually feel (ive got very 'dense' breast tissue apparently).

I know a bit about it, and any change that feels not normal to you should be mentioned. Having said that the vast majority of lumps - well over 90% are nothing to worry about.

Take care.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 01-Nov-17 08:08:12

There are various possible symptoms, not just lumps. So it's definitely worth mentioning it to the GP. They might refer you for tests, but remember that most people who are referred to the clinic do not have cancer flowers

Fairylea Wed 01-Nov-17 08:13:43

Absolutely mention it to your gp. I had a breast lump that turned out to be an abscess but in theory it could have been something nasty so I went to the breast clinic under a 2 week referral from the gp. They did a scan and all was fine. Huge relief. I think if you feel your breast regularly then you get to know what’s normal for you and anything different should be checked. The breast clinic said they would rather see someone every week to tell them it’s all fine than miss one person who has cancer and needs treatment.

BurgundyMaestro Wed 01-Nov-17 11:24:14

My friend had a little reddened and ridged patch of skin, it felt hot. It’s so rare, something like 0.02% of breast cancers, no lump so she ignored it for a while but it’s a pretty deadly one.

Bumblina Wed 01-Nov-17 11:24:47

get it checked out.
a referral to the breast clinic sounds very scary but it's all so common now as GP's don't have the right 'tools' to really take a good look at your breasts. Better to get the experts to check.

But I agree with another poster about hearing about how many women are going through this. My gran died aged 56 from it. I would have mine removed if i could.

MrsHass Wed 01-Nov-17 12:15:59

Thanks for all your replies.
The Dr couldn't feel what I feel and couldn't feel anything of concern, but she's asked me to come back in 2 weeks just to see if there's any difference.
She was really good though and did say that I knew my body best so didn't make me feel stupid even when I was trying to explain that it's not a lump, it's just something different.

Alphvet Fri 03-Nov-17 16:19:54

I found a large vein in my breast. Saw gp and had appointment at breast clinic 6 days later. All fine. So it's worth getting referred and is v quick

Annabelleisinthehouse Fri 03-Nov-17 20:05:52

Sorry op I have only joined and dont know hiw to start a thread) to hijack your thread but Im in a similar situation as you as I have found two lumps recently, they are about 2 cm each, I saw my gp a couple of days ago and she said that she is not worried but has referred me to the breast clinic.
My main worry is that I have a swollen lymph node between the breast and the armpit about 1,5 cm long but my gp reassured me that it might only be due to an infection and not the breast itself and we only look at them if they are more tham 3 cm in diameter.
So worried and have health anxiety which is making the waiting time unbearable.
Has anybody had the same and turned out ok.

Milkandcornflakes Sun 05-Nov-17 23:12:02

Hi there.. I'm just coming out of a 2year battle with bc..i first noticed something large and rubbery I'm.my left breast but thought it was fatty tissue as I tend to go up and down in weight..i ignored it for months and by the time I got seen at the breast clinic I had a 20cm tumour and lymph node involvement.no.pea sized lump here or rash ..

Milkandcornflakes Sun 05-Nov-17 23:13:09

Typo not a 20cm tumour ..it was 5cm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now