Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does alcohol help sore throats

(14 Posts)
bellalou1234 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:35:44

Hello,
Feel awful all phlegm and throat is like razor blades, would a whiskey help? Am thinking alcohol may kill virus?

Themummy76 Tue 31-Oct-17 20:16:43

Try hot lemon juice and honey mixed with hot water instead!

EggysMom Tue 31-Oct-17 20:37:11

It'll make you care less about the problem grin wine gin

BeyondTheMoon Tue 31-Oct-17 20:43:20

you could add whiskey to the hot lemon & honey to help you sleep

AndromedaPerseus Tue 31-Oct-17 20:44:48

Yes because it'll anaethetize the nerves

Halloweenwitch Tue 31-Oct-17 20:46:01

Don’t have a whiskey however, have a lovely gin and tonic wink

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 31-Oct-17 20:46:17

I’m in Scotland and a “hot toddy” before bed is a well known cold remedy - lemon juice, honey, grated ginger, and a dash of whiskey - only to be taken with no other drugs though! I hate whiskey so would sub in brandy instead.

wtffgs Tue 31-Oct-17 20:51:50

Whisky is rank (sorry to my Scottish Granny!) However, brandy, lemon, honey and ginger is vair nice. Most Benilyn (so?) type meds have some alcohol in to make you drowsy. I never actually have brandy in these days tho.

DurhamDurham Tue 31-Oct-17 20:52:36

From an early age my dad gave us whisky in hot water mixed with honey and a squirt of jiffy lemon when we had sore throats.

Worked a treat but I’ve hated the stuff ever since as it just reminds me of being ill.

mrsRosaPimento Tue 31-Oct-17 21:14:51

And colds. I think the alcohol numbs the throat and causes you to care less.

mrsRosaPimento Tue 31-Oct-17 21:20:34

Drink wine.🥂

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 31-Oct-17 21:33:32

wtffgs I had The Worst Cold Ever a few years ago when I lived on my own, and was actually crying to my mum on the phone because I felt so ill. She zipped round with a fancy crystal decanter of brandy and told me to keep it. When I moved in with DP I finally chucked it (it had seen me through a few colds since then) and bought a half bottle specifically for medicinal purposes. Neither of us would ever touch it as a drink, but it gets trotted out for vile colds.

ForgivenessIsDivine Tue 31-Oct-17 22:41:25

Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and honey. Gargle ever half an hour until symptoms improve and then every two hours.

In between, make a warm drink of rice milk, turmeric, honey, coconut oil with any spices you like.

The first one will kill the bugs, the second will ease the pain and inflammation.

bellalou1234 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:43:36

Thanks everyone I decided on a honey jack Daniels! Worked a treat st the time! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now