Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sacroiliac joint pain help?!

(10 Posts)
Cerseilannisterinthesnow Mon 30-Oct-17 21:47:35

I fell down the stairs 2 years ago and bashed all the bottom of my back which was very sore for the first week but then seemed to calm down then I have had flare ups of dull aching pain off and on since then, worse when sitting for long periods and when lying on my side at night it just aches constantly, I also find it particularly painful during a bowel movement and when I’m on my period. I do try to do my pelvic floor excercises as a physio told me this may help but this is also painful

I have seen a consultant last July who diagnosed sacroiliac joint pain and I had one round of steroid injections which helped for a couple of weeks but then was back to square one but I didn’t feel it was quite as painful as it was and since then have been ok apart from odd twinges up until this last week where it seems to have come back with a vengeance!

I have been having hot baths, deep heat gel applied and hot water bottles but this only seems to be giving minimal relief, I also take painkillers if it is particularly bad but I also have GERD so these don’t help my stomach!

Anyone else with this problem or similar what worked for you?

Foggymist Mon 30-Oct-17 21:48:53

Osteopath and deep tissue massage.

Lottapianos Mon 30-Oct-17 21:50:52

I had about 6 osteopath sessions which helped. I now make sure I walk every day, go to the gym 3 times a week and generally keep active. It doesn't really bother me anymore. That said, my sacroiliac issues were general bad back stuff not down to an injury, so your issues may be more significant. Hope things get better for you x

QueenNefertitty Mon 30-Oct-17 21:54:14

third vote her for some osteopathy...

Cerseilannisterinthesnow Mon 30-Oct-17 21:57:10

I will look into an osteopath I think

AuditAngel Mon 30-Oct-17 22:02:44

Reading this with interest. I am suffering from pain here too, my mum and both sisters have arthritis, and my mum thinks I have too.

sparechange Mon 30-Oct-17 22:13:32

Regular physio and pilates

borntobequiet Tue 31-Oct-17 05:20:50

There are some very simple and effective exercises you can use to help stabilise the SI joint - just Google. Obviously stop if they cause pain, but incorporating them into my morning stretches really made a difference.
www.braceability.com/blog/sacroiliac-joint-pain-exercises/
This is the site I found most useful. It does advise seeking bedical advice before you begin the exercises, and also tells you what to avoid.

borntobequiet Tue 31-Oct-17 05:22:10

medical

StoorieHoose Tue 31-Oct-17 06:30:47

Weekly yoga keeps my pain away borntobe website link is a good one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now