Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Frequent nausea, sometimes with light-headed dizziness.

(25 Posts)
SpecialAgentDaleCooper Mon 30-Oct-17 18:32:23

As the title says I frequently feel nauseous and sometimes this is accompanied by a light-headed dizzy feeling. The only thing I can compare it to is that travel/motion sickness feeling when you get off a boat but still feel sick and a bit dizzy for a while afterwards. (does that make sense to anyone?).

The nausea is a low level niggling nausea where you're 99% sure you won't throw up but it wears you down just feeling like that.

It's been going on for a few months on and off so I'm now thinking maybe I should go to the GP but it seems a bit vague and trivial.

Anyone had this? What could be causing it? Am I going to be wasting their time?

MyGirlDaisy Mon 30-Oct-17 18:39:02

It could be mild vertigo? Have you had any ear problems? Labyrinthitis? What you are describing does sound a bit like it might be one of those things but as it's been going on for a while it's probably best to get it checked.

Floralnomad Mon 30-Oct-17 18:44:42

Have you had your blood pressure checked . Nausea could be any number of things , worth having some routine bloods done . Can you eat ok ? Are you losing weight unexpectedly ?

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Mon 30-Oct-17 18:52:47

No ear problems, never had problems with blood pressure, no weight loss, eating OK but sometimes not particularly hungry because of the nausea (but make up for it when feeling OK)

RibenaMonsoon Mon 30-Oct-17 18:53:10

I had a similar thing a few years back. Turned out to be the result of stress in a pretty crappy situation I was in.

How's everything going in life? If you are going through a crappy time or stressed out then that's a possibility.

I hope you feel better soon flowers

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Mon 30-Oct-17 18:58:24

Life's no more stressful than usual - just the usual day to day stuff that being a parent brings, nothing major.

I've certainly had much more stressful times!!

Thank you all BTW

Themummy76 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:04:01

Pregnant?

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Mon 30-Oct-17 19:06:24

Inner ear infection?

burntoutmum Mon 30-Oct-17 19:10:49

I’ve had something very similar on and off for the last year. The first 6 months were pretty much constant ( and bloody miserable) and it’s been in dribs and drabs ever since. I’ve been to the docs, they were puzzled and said it didn’t sound serious so I was sent on my way. I think stress definitely made it worse.

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 30-Oct-17 19:11:10

When I was anemic I felt dizzy a lot of the time which made me nauseaus pop onto your go for a blood test... a course of iron will put this right if that's what it is.

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 30-Oct-17 19:12:19

Pop * into your GP *

FanjoBanjo1989 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:17:10

Well worth checking your vit D levels, OP. I had the dizziness and a bit of nausea with it (amongst other things). Blood test revealed I was low in vit D (GP doesn't usually check vit D unless you ask explicitly). Taking supplements (available on Amazon, 50ug / 2000UI per day) seems to be really helping! The fact that it's been going on a while suggests it isn't a virus. Also, it can't hurt to top up your iron levels (another common cause of dizziness). I recommend the Spatone supplements, 1 or 2 sachets a day with apple (or orange) juice. Good luck!

Sayhellotothelittlefella Mon 30-Oct-17 19:20:51

It does sound a bit like labrynthitis to me. Have you had a blood test because the other thought I had was it also sounds like my DS' symptoms before he was diagnosed with Coeliac disease. Read up all the various effects it can have and see if it rings a bell. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Jasminedes Mon 30-Oct-17 19:23:44

Perimenopause, just to throw another suggestion at you.

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Mon 30-Oct-17 19:39:33

No not pregnant but could well be due to perimenopause (I have all sorts of other perimenopausal stuff going on)

Vit D is an interesting thought - I take Calcium and VitD tablets for osteopenia but have to admit I've hardly taken them for a while and before that was sporadic at best.

I'll look up symptoms for Coeliacs - another interesting thought

Sayhellotothelittlefella Mon 30-Oct-17 20:29:46

OP - You should definitely get tested I am a Coeliac and I have osteopenia - it is a common cause of malabsorption of calcium. Dont let the doctor fob you off as you don't have the classic symptoms i.e. Diarrhoea, vomiting and bloating. Most people actually don't have these, in fact the most common symptom to present with is anaemia.
www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/about-coeliac-disease-and-dermatitis-herpetiformis/symptoms/
Hopefully this link might work ( not sure how to do it). This is a better website to check symptoms than the NHS one.

RiojaHaze Mon 30-Oct-17 20:35:56

I've been like this for a while and been really cold too, and I've just been diagnosed as being b12 deficient.
Definitely worth a blood test.

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Tue 31-Oct-17 08:27:25

The Coeliac info suggests I should get tested - thanks for that link SayHello.

Certainly not feeling cold Rioja, far from it! (the joys of the perimenopause wink)

amibeingaprude Tue 31-Oct-17 08:35:46

Low blood sugar? Does it happen if you haven't eaten for a while?
anaemia?

Low vit D? My dd had the sme and she had low vit D.

Floralnomad Tue 31-Oct-17 09:49:02

I would also look at getting tested for H pylori , the GP can do that via stool samples , it’s very common and easily treated .

KingIrving Tue 31-Oct-17 17:54:38

As others have said. Anaemia makes you dizzy.
Time for a visit to the GP and a blood test.

Sayhellotothelittlefella Fri 03-Nov-17 18:47:43

Hope you get some answers and start to feel better soon OP flowers

nong45 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:57:26

Until I started HRT perimenopause was making me feel like I’d got morning sickness at certain times of the month.

sayhellotothelittlefella Thu 16-Nov-17 11:31:59

How is it going OP are you feeling any better?

whatisforteamum Thu 16-Nov-17 13:47:01

I had this from Feb to April this year.I stopped.driving.Maybe perimenopause too.Docs did tests and thought it was stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now