Advanced search

when to see dr about periods?

(9 Posts)
peachypetite Sat 16-Nov-19 10:48:42

That should say transvaginal

OP’s posts: |
peachypetite Sat 16-Nov-19 07:19:39

So I had a yransvaginal scan and it came back not showing anything but it seems that scan wouldn’t show endo.
Should I push for a referral? Off the pill and periods are still heavy and painful and while initially settled down they are now very erratic (22 to 36 day cycles)

OP’s posts: |
peachypetite Mon 23-Apr-18 20:52:03

Hello. Can't believe I wrote this in October and still haven't booked a dr appointment. I am still suffering sad

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 01-Nov-17 07:15:42


Like the previous respondent suggests I would request a gynaecologist referral from your GP. This is not a problem that some GPs are at all up to speed with at all and this is outside their remit. I realise now that my problems with endo started upon the onset of menses in teenage years.

I would keep a daily pain and symptom diary if you do not already do this because this will also give the gynae clues. DO not be fobbed off; you need to find the cause of your symptoms (and I also thought endometriosis on reading your initial post).

MountainDweller Tue 31-Oct-17 23:29:27

Yes it could be endometriosis. Mine was controlled by the Pill for years and I didn’t know I had it, then came off the pill and had horrendous periods. Went back on Pill but symptoms continued. Back pain was one of my early symptoms. Back to back Pill helped but by that time I had a lot of lesions and scar tissue so was in pain all the time.

Definitely worth getting checked out. Many GPS are not very knowledgeable about endo so you may need to work at it. They will most likely send you for an ultrasound first, partly to rule out other things - eg could also be fibroids, especially if your periods are heavy. Endometriosis often does not show on a scan, so don’t be fobbed off if your scan is clear. You need to ask for a referral to a gynae, ideally one who specialises in endometriosis. Unfortunately unless you have very large endo deposits the only way to diagnose is through a laparoscopy - ideally you would get it diagnosed and treated at the same time - for treatment you definitely want an endo specialist. There are lots of specialist centres around the UK and you can be asked to be referred to one. The charity Endometriosis UK is a good resource and may have a link to the list of centres, if not I think it’s google-able!

I have had 2 surgeries and my endo is now controlled by long term gnrh drugs, though getting these meds long term is not easy. It’s also a short term option to shrink endo down which can be useful if you want to ttc. Good luck!

peachypetite Tue 31-Oct-17 17:46:58

Anyone else?

OP’s posts: |
peachypetite Tue 31-Oct-17 10:18:05

I am not worried about it being something else, it is definitely period pain but I feel it shouldn't be this severe on the pill. I used to take the pill for years and always had bad periods but just put up with them. Then I switched to the implant and they almost stopped which was great. Back on the pill now and really feel something is wrong. I speak to friends who also take the pill and they barely notice their periods. I have been reading more about endometriosis.

OP’s posts: |
TheHodgeHeg Tue 31-Oct-17 02:09:34

I just posted this on another thread but I had awful stomach cramps and vomitting whilst on my period and it turned out to be appendicitis. The drs fobbed me off and I would imagine they'd do the same to you to so just something to consider. Your appendix is in the lower right quadrant of your stomach, if you get increased pain when you press there you should see a Dr for suspected appendicitis (keep checking this because the pain can sometimes be generalised and only localise to the appendix area as the infection gets worse).

peachypetite Mon 30-Oct-17 16:03:29

I take the contraceptive pill, and I am worried about the amount of pain I experience when I menstruate. Everything I read online suggests the pill is often prescribed to help painful periods, whereas my periods are awful. I have spent the whole weekend with terrible lower back pain, stomach cramps and feeling rubbish. Is this normal?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in