Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

After hysterectomy...

(21 Posts)
cakedup Sun 29-Oct-17 18:52:26

Due to have a hysterectomy and just trying to plan ahead. Will I be able to clean the cat litter tray which I do weekly??

This involves emptying the litter into a dustbin liner (I can get ds to perhaps help with that bit) then scrubbing the litter tray clean. I can use a scoop to fill it with fresh litter to prevent lifting the bag of cat litter. I normally do all this sitting on the floor. That should be alright shouldn't it?? My mum seems to think I won't manage it. The alternative would be to get a few disposeable cat litter boxes.

PoppyPopcorn Sun 29-Oct-17 21:42:12

Depends what sort of surgery you're having. Keyhole or vaginally, possibly. Abdominally, maybe also but bending over is sore.

cakedup Sun 29-Oct-17 22:55:19

Abdominal surgery. So any bending will be difficult for a while? How long we talking, days? weeks?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 29-Oct-17 23:31:12

A few weeks I should think, I wouldn't have been doing that straight after my abdominal hysterectomy

cakedup Mon 30-Oct-17 17:16:07

Thanks Costa . I think I'll have to get the disposeable ones then.

PoppyPopcorn Mon 30-Oct-17 17:23:24

You need to do anything which will make life easier!! Getting someone else to empty the tray would be best tbh. Who is going to be with you when you get home? You certainly shouldn't be lifting cat litter bags.

MrsG841 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:25:01

6 weeks is the general rule for limited bending etc.... Same as if you have had a c section.

cakedup Tue 31-Oct-17 00:02:44

PoppyPopcorn My sister is coming to stay for the first week (I'll be in hospital for first few days while she looks after DS). DS is 12 so can help out a bit. After my sister goes, my mum will visit regularly. However, both her and DS are very squeamish about the cat litter and she won't have anything to do with it!

It's the only thing I'm worried about really. Everything else I think can be managed between myself, my mum and DS.

I'm guessing the other things that will be difficult will be hoovering/mopping and cleaning the bath?

cakedup Tue 31-Oct-17 00:03:56

MrsG841 I've not had a C section but funny enough a couple of people who have, have told me that even though they were told 6 weeks for recovery, apparently within a couple of weeks they were getting on with things as usual!

PoppyPopcorn Tue 31-Oct-17 07:39:25

It's much more radical surgery than a section, you really shouldn't compare the two. And for everyone who bounces back from an abdominal hysterectomy within days, there;s someone else who struggles.

I was in hospital for two nights, by the time I got home I was able to shuffle around the house, shower myself, dress myself. make a cup of tea. But I was SO tired, if I walked upstairs and had a shower, I had to have a wee sit down on the bed before getting dressed. It got better daily though. After a week I was making light meals like scrambed egg or baked potato and moving much more easily. Walking is great - but don't be tempted to do anything strenuous which may put strain on your pelvic floor. You might be offered physio - take it if you are. I didn't drive for four weeks, and then it was only little local trips.

Lifting is the thing you really need to avoid - laundry is the big one to give a miss. I was able to do things like unloading the diswasher a coyple of plates at a time. We have a cleaner so I very rarely hoover but as long as you're not lugging the hoover upstairs you might manage.

Listen to your body, you will know if you're trying to do too much. Take the painkillers, you'll need them in the early days. Make the most of help you're offered.

I had my hysterectomy because of fibroids which were making me so ill as I was losing so much blood each month, having the op has totally changed my life and was well worth it.

cakedup Tue 31-Oct-17 22:40:38

PoppyPopcorn I'm having a hysterectomy for the exact same reason! I have to plan my life around my periods and be near a toilet at all times so I can't wait to be free of this. Did you only have your womb removed?

I know everyone is different, but it's still helpful to hear of other people's experiences so thanks for that. My mum struggled quite a bit, but she was older than me when she had hers (I'm 45, she was in her mid 50s when she had hers). She couldn't even put on her knickers for the first 2 weeks! Although she managed with the aid of a pair of salad tongs grin

My mum thinks I will need steps to get in/out of the bath, did you have any problems with this?

BG2015 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:37:59

I had a hysterectomy in June (there’s a massive thread on here somewhere - loads of us posted at the time)

I had keyhole surgery which does make a difference. I would say the first week is the worst. Then it gets progressively easier over the next 2/3 weeks. By week 5 I was ready to go back to work but sicknote was for 6 weeks so I figured there was a reason for that.

There is a list on the Hysterectomy Association site that lists what you can do week by week. So the first week you shouldn’t even lift a kettle. No bending or stretching. Hoovering is a no no for weeks.

You will sleep and sleep. You won’t believe how much. Just listen to your body and take all the help you can get. It’s amzing how kids get on with things. My 14 year old son ironed his own school shirts!!!

Good luck. Best thing I ever did. Fibroids are no more!

PoppyPopcorn Wed 01-Nov-17 22:15:45

Cakedup - had my uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes removed. I still have my ovaries on the advice of my consultant as there's no history of ovarian issues in my family. My fibroid was so huge.... the size of a 5 month pregnancy. I was also offered an embolisation procedure but it was a 50/50 success chance and I was just SO fed up with all the bleeding. Can totally identify with the not wanting to be away from the loo. Not having periods has totally transformed my life - and I bought a pair of white trousers for my holiday this year!!

I'm 45 too, had my surgery last year at 44. I managed fine with knickers but my best piece of advice is to get the big "full brief" style pants from M&S, don't scrimp on the cheapies. You won't want bikini briefs or anything which might cut into your scar. As for steps into the bath.... I haven't had a bath in years! Showers only and I was encouraged to get up and shower the morning after my op. I can't see how getting into a bath would be that hard as your legs and hips are fine and you can use your hands to steady yourself. I doubt you'd be allowed to soak until your scar has healed.

Other things for your shopping lists - cheap nighties as you'll need them after surgery. I had a catheter for the first 16-ish hours. Loose clothing. Leggings, jogging bottoms, loose dresses.

I know your mum means well but the older generation just love to come out with their horror stories about how Betty down the street had a hysterectomy and couldn't get out of bed for a year, or similar. Surgical procedures change and you really can't know how it's going to go.

PoppyPopcorn Wed 01-Nov-17 22:17:33

I got the surgeon to take a pic of the fibroid after she'd removed it. I would post it but it would probably gross out a lot of people.

Ropsleybunny Wed 01-Nov-17 22:21:06

It took me absolutely ages to recover from my hysterectomy. I was really tired and sore. They tell you to walk short distances to start with and build it up gradually. They tell you to rest and not to even lift a kettle for six weeks. I hope it all goes well 💐

mineofuselessinformation Wed 01-Nov-17 22:28:28

You're having an organ removed. You need to remember that, along with the phrase 'I can't do it'.
You really do need to take things easy. I found that some things took me by surprise - hanging up damp towels, for example.
I paid someone to do my 'heavy work' for me for a month at least, and ordered a delivery for shopping, and put a note on it that I would need assistance. The delivery people were very good, and put all of my shopping on my worktop for me.

Ropsleybunny Wed 01-Nov-17 22:31:05

Hystersisters is an excellent site. There's loads of information and a forum.

PoppyPopcorn Wed 01-Nov-17 23:23:03

I'm not a fan of Hystersisters. Yes there is LOADS of information but as the main audience is from North America a lot of it isn't applicable to our healthcare system. I found much better practial information about what to expect on the NHS websites. You get much funnier and straight talking advice on Mumsnet!

This is a UK site which is good too

cakedup Mon 06-Nov-17 22:59:49

BG2015 thanks, the Hysterectomy Association site looks really useful. Great list of what to take in the hospital bag. Haven't found the week by week list of things you can't do though...will keep searching.

And you're right about the difference between keyhole/abdominal. I've always heard it's 6 - 8 week recovery but on this site it says 11 - 14 for an abdominal!!

cakedup Mon 06-Nov-17 23:04:39

PoppyPopcorn so glad it has given you some quality of life. That's what I need to remember as now the op date is nearing I'm starting to have doubts!

No, I haven't had a bath for years either but I meant stepping in/out of the bath to take a shower. Thanks, have put big girl pants and nighties on my shopping list!

And yes, my mum is a bit of a hypochondriac at the best of times so trying to keep that in mind!

cakedup Mon 06-Nov-17 23:17:44

Ropsleybunny thanks, I've joined Hystersisters too.

Thanks everyone, really helpful to hear about your experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now