Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any docs online? Cocodamol for possible pancreatitis?

(24 Posts)
hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 16:49:59

I'm in agony. I took 2 paracetamol at 1.30pm but it hasn't touched the pain. The pain is exactly like the pain I've had before when I had pancreatitis. I vaguely recall there were certain meds they wouldn't give me then as it can exacerbate the condition, but I can't remember which one it was. Might have been morphine? I'm due meds at 5.30. All I have here is paracetamol (as I said, not doing anything) or Cocodamol 8/500. Am I ok to take the Cocodamol?

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:25:40

Anybody?

INeedNewShoes Sun 29-Oct-17 17:27:04

If you think you have pancreatitis you need urgent medical attention surely?

Adelie0404 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:29:20

Go to hospital if you are in agony. You can have morphine for pancreatisn and should!

As above. If you think you have pancreatitis you NEED to see a doctor asap

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:30:10

Really really really don't want to go to hospital. Hoping pain will ease. Have just taken the cocodamol. If it doesn't kick in, in an hour, I'll call 111.

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:32:10

Given where the pain is, it could be gallstones or something and as far as I know they do fuck all for you but send you home with pain relief for that. Don't want to spend bloody hours waiting in A&E to be sent home with paracetamol.

So you post asking if you can take it because you don't know and then just go and take it anyway a few minutes later?

JohnHunter Sun 29-Oct-17 17:33:55

They will sometimes avoid morphine for gallstone pain and gallstones can cause pancreatitis. I don't think there is any painkiller than worsens the symptoms of pancreatitis itself.

As the others said, if you think you are developing pancreatitis then you should probably be in hospital.

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:37:42

I asked 40 minutes before I was due them but nobody replied. I'm in a lot of pain so I took them. As I said, if pain doesn't ease by 6.30, I'll go in. Really could do without having to though.

trinity0097 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:38:30

I was given a shed load of oramorph before my gallbladder was taken out. Still have a bottle, just in case!

DownstairsMixUp Sun 29-Oct-17 17:43:00

Wouldn’t ibuprofen be better since it’s inflammation causing the pain? I don’t think co codamol would help, a iv of morphine would help

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:44:50

I'm vomiting and have gastritis so can't tolerate ibuprofen. Also not fit enough to get to a pharmacy.

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:47:06

Seems to be easing slightly. Only have another 2 cocodamol left, so hope to hell it will go the hell away. Not eating as I know that's the treatment I had before with pancreatitis.

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:49:28

It wasn't that the painkillers cause pancreatitis that they told me, it was that it can put too much pressure on an already irritated pancreas. Come to think of it, it might have been the morphine they were holding back on.

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 17:50:17

Or maybe the morphine addled my brain and I'm raving lol. Also likely.

OutlawFromHell Tue 31-Oct-17 21:00:38

I hope you want to hospital. Opiates can cause bile duct spasms which mimic gallstones/pancreatitis

hiddley Fri 03-Nov-17 07:12:52

Just to update. Went to doc on Monday. He gave 50cocodamol. Tuesday I was brought by ambulance. Current diagnosis is liver failure.

ladyballs Fri 03-Nov-17 08:31:39

Oh my goodness. flowers

notapizzaeater Fri 03-Nov-17 08:34:29

Wow, hope you feel better soon

hiddley Fri 03-Nov-17 08:41:08

Just waiting on doctor to do rounds when they get this morning's results. Should know more then.

DubiousCredentials Fri 03-Nov-17 20:55:50

How are you op?

drspouse Fri 03-Nov-17 20:58:21

Oh my, hope you have better news.

hiddley Sat 04-Nov-17 16:25:38

How easily up? The doctors wake you ten or twelve times night.
Being transferred to award thank God

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now