Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Incisional hernia

(6 Posts)
Caulk Fri 27-Oct-17 19:20:56

Has anyone developed an incisional hernia after surgery? Did you surgery to repair it?

KurriKurri Fri 27-Oct-17 20:19:53

I did (after a hysterectomy) I had a mesh repair under general anaesthetic as a day patient. It was done laparoscopally - so no big wound. Took about six weeks to recover IIRC.

KurriKurri Fri 27-Oct-17 20:20:34

Meant to say - it was six years ago and I haven't had any problems with it since.

Caulk Fri 27-Oct-17 20:23:39

Ace, thanks.
When/how did it get picked up? I had open ovarian surgery 4 weeks ago and my GP had confirmed one, possibly two hernias and has said to speak to the surgeon but he may not do anything until I see him for post-op in Jan.

KurriKurri Fri 27-Oct-17 21:36:12

I went to the doctor and asked about it about two years after my op - I had a big swollen lump just above my scar and it was painful (sort of dragging pain, not sharp) so it was a while until mine was picked up, but I suspect the hernia had been there since right afterwards because I felt something had kind of torn inside just after my op. But it was dismissed as normal post op pain. It was only when the lump became more obvious I got referred to a hernia consultant.
I only had to wait about five weeks for the op. because someone cancelled and I was able to go in at short notice.

If they have picked yours up now, hopefully it may not have got too big - mine was about the size of a small apple eventually but they were still able to do it all through very small incisions - I felt much better once I had it sorted out. It was quite uncomfortable.

Caulk Fri 27-Oct-17 21:38:35

Thank you, that’s really helpful. That’s definitely how I would describe the feeling of it and it’s good to know that post surgery it was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now