Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Conscious sedation for root canal

(18 Posts)
packofshunts Thu 26-Oct-17 18:55:03

I see a private dentist and am due to have fairly complicated root canal work done on molar.

Is it generally possible to have this procedure carried out under sedation and if so is it a massive extra cost?

Lots of reasons to want it; the dentist has initially suggested diazepam but I’ve tried that before and it does nothing (even on a large dose)

Dapplegrey2 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:07:13

I had the first part of an implant done a couple of days ago and this was done under sedation. I would recommend it as it was quite a long procedure and I can't remember any of it.
Pain relief afterwards was another matter. The dentist said take paracetamol and ibroprofen as he said these work well for dental pain.
Well when the injection wore off I was in absolute agony and my he rang the dental practice and they just repeated what they'd said about paracetamol and ibroprofen.
These didn't even touch the pain.
When I was in hospital for an operation I was given pain relief whenever I needed it - it seems odd that dentists can't prescribe painkillers when toothache can be one of the worst pains.
Luckily my dh remembered he'd still got some tramadol from a shoulder injury and that did the trick.
Op, if you are in pain afterwards - and I sincerely hope you are not - ring your gp as they are more helpful about pain than dentists.

packofshunts Thu 26-Oct-17 19:15:53

Thanks for the tip Dapple.
Think we have have some prescribed co-cocodamol somewhere and also think DH has some left over Tramadol.

I have been told that the procedure will take 2 freakin’ hours!! Sorry but don’t think the “diverting” film they will put on will do the job somehow!!!

Need to ask about sedation

Dapplegrey2 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:30:29

I'd definitely have sedation. You won't notice or feel a thing while it's happening.

packofshunts Thu 26-Oct-17 19:36:07

Did it cost you a lot extra Dapple?

£600 for root canal, £600 crown

Dapplegrey2 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:38:16

I'm not sure as I don't have to pay until it's finished - the first procedure involved bone graft and something to do with sinuses.
Dental work is very expensive, isn't it, but I don't know how much the sedative costs.

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 26-Oct-17 22:10:08

My dentist charges around £300 for sedation. I think part of the cost is that they need to bring someone in from outside to do it.

Dapplegrey2 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:07:17

My dentist did it himself.

duriandurian Fri 27-Oct-17 10:10:38

I had complicated impacted wisdom teeth removed at a surgery (in Singapore) and they gave me IV sedation which was amazing.
They described it as like gin and tonic. I thought it was like the best nap ever. I don't know if they do that here but it was fantastic. I wasn't offered it for Gynae procedures and other ops, they all said general or local. But this was the best- felt so refreshed afterwards.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 27-Oct-17 10:44:48

That’s so handy, dapple! I think it depends on the surgery. My practice doesn’t offer it as standard, and my own dentist doesn’t actually recommend it. She says that a patient who has procedures with sedation will never get a measure of what they can handle, so they would always tend to want/need sedation.

I am due a root canal a week today and am a really anxious patient, so I feel your pain! I would try and get hold of some Valium but getting an appointment at the doctor’s surgery is like catching a unicorn, so i’m going to have to tough it out.

NotJustThreeSmallWords Fri 27-Oct-17 10:51:20

I have sedation at my dentist, it's the only reason I go there. Diazepam isn't enough for me. The sedation sends me to sleep but it isn't an anaesthetic.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Fri 27-Oct-17 10:56:39

I had major dental work about 8 years ago - my dentist had to bring in the aneathetist from outside, and he was £350 for every session. Good luck op

packofshunts Fri 27-Oct-17 12:10:35

Spoken to a friend who’s the hygienist at the practice. Says sedation is unheard of there for RC and needn’t worry as that dentist is very gentle. Doesn’t even think I’ll need any pain killers afterward!?

Reiterated that I can watch a friggin
film through out which should totally chill me hmm

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Fri 27-Oct-17 12:44:01

Personally, there's absolutely no way I'd be able to go through RC without sedation. Diazepam wouldn't even touch the sides !!!

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 27-Oct-17 14:14:43

I had RC earlier in the year. The injections were the worst bit, and while it wasn’t exactly pleasant, it was far less traumatic than having a tooth out. They get you really, properly numb, and the drilling bit is over quite quickly. YMMV but I asked the dentist to give me a running commentary so I knew exactly what was happening, and also time checks (X is going to take Y minutes, then we will do Z). Zoning out with music wouldn’t work for me as i’d feel too out of control. I had to stop for a break a couple of times, so we agreed a signal in advance - it was useful to know I could do that. When i got the injections, the dental nurse held my hand.

When I go next week I plan to bring something to hold, a stress ball or a beanie baby type thing, as last time I was gripping the chair so hard I was practically levitating. I also will bring lavender oil to put round my nose before I go in. I’ll be planning a “reward”for once it’s done.

I possibly sound quite mad, but for me it’s “whatever gets you through the night”.

Dapplegrey2 Fri 27-Oct-17 14:15:04

Judy - I hope your procedure goes ok and I hope you don't suffer the terrible pain I had after my implant procedure.
Why my dentist thought that paracetamol and ibroprofen would be sufficient for pain relief I have no idea.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 27-Oct-17 14:17:29

Oh, last mad tip - I had a sort of mantra I repeated in my head throughout, “I trust this person 100% to do the right thing by me”.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 27-Oct-17 14:20:37

dapple I had a tooth extracted earlier in the year (back tooth) and there is no chance I could cope with an implant. You are very brave - and will have a lovely new tooth once it’s all over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now