Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WWYD - feeling awful after liver biopsy

(7 Posts)
SuperVeggie Wed 25-Oct-17 20:34:05

Just after advice please. I had a US guided liver biopsy yesterday to investigate abnormal blood flow and the procedure itself was fine and only slightly uncomfortable. However within 15-20 mins I had the most horrendous pain under rib cage and around liver especially when breathing. Like stitch but much worse. They gave me IV paracetamol which didn't touch the pain so then went to IV fentanyl and I seemed to have an allergic reaction and nearly passed out, went red, increased pulse etc. They did another US and said no sign of internal bleeding. Sent home later and pain had subsided slightly but still pretty bad. Told to go to A and E if it was still bad later.

Felt awful all night in a lot of pain. Called GP this morning to ask for more pain relief and they aske me to come in and when I did they told me I had to go for A and E in case of delayed internal bleeding. I did so and they did chest X-ray and liver US which they said looked normal. Sent home with codeine and told to come back if pain got worse or if being sick. Within 2 hours of getting home pain was back to horrendous levels so I took codeine which seems to have slightly improved the pain but also made me feel really sick, woozy and drunk in a horrible way. WWYD now? It's only about 3-4 hours since X-ray and US which were normal. Don't know why pain has suddenly got worse though. Think the sickness is due to codeine as also drowsy. Would you go back to A and E again? Or stay at home and hope it improves? Feels dramatic to return but also they did tell me to if pain got worse. This is the worst I've ever felt. Thanks.

iMatter Wed 25-Oct-17 20:40:28

It might be (partly) a result of the codeine.

I can’t take it at all. It makes me so unwell - as if I’m having a really bad trip. Totally spaced out, out of control and on a different planet.

I hope you feel much better soon. flowers

iMatter Wed 25-Oct-17 20:41:07

And if in doubt head to A & E

MrsMozart Wed 25-Oct-17 20:48:15

A&E m'duck.

SuperVeggie Thu 26-Oct-17 18:08:37

Thanks both. Painbecame awful, went to A and E, so glad I did as needed morphine and they kept me overnight. All looks fine and docs have no idea why I was in such pain! Settling down at home and I'm on bed rest for now. No signs of internal bleeding thankfully!

iMatter Thu 26-Oct-17 18:26:16

So glad you are ok flowers

MrsMozart Thu 26-Oct-17 19:23:04

Sounds good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now