Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Colposcopy

(15 Posts)
BeFire Wed 25-Oct-17 14:18:09

Just had a letter about my smear test results, it says there are borderline changes to cervical cells and HPV present so a colposcopy referral is being arranged for me.
Has anyone had similar results? What happened? Do I just wait for another letter? Thanks in advance.

BeFire Wed 25-Oct-17 14:48:44

Hopeful bump. Having a bit of a panic.

Whinesalot Wed 25-Oct-17 14:49:59

Did it say what CIN there is?

BeFire Wed 25-Oct-17 14:52:54

It doesn't say, no.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Wed 25-Oct-17 14:53:17

I had cell changes too and was called for a colposcopy. I panicked big time, I was sick with worry.

They did a biopsy (ouch!) and results came back as CIN1. As a result, no treatment was needed and when I had the follow on smear in 3 months time, they had gone back to normal. Now I'm on 3 yearly smears again.

Try not to panic. This is REALLY common.

BeFire Wed 25-Oct-17 14:57:14

Thank you Face. I needed to read that.
The logical part of me knows it will all more than likely be fine but I can't help but panic a bit.

wineandsunshine Wed 25-Oct-17 18:55:43

I had your exact letter three years ago - i won’t lie it did freak me out, but my appointment took 4 weeks to come through and then when I went for the colposcopy they took two biopsies and 6 weeks letter I was sent a letter with the all clear - no treatment needed. I’ve had yearly smears since and no HPV.
Good luck and try not to worry (I know you will but you will be fine x)

BeFire Wed 25-Oct-17 19:28:10

Thank you.
That sounds like a long, painful wait!
I'm just telling myself everything will be fine, because it will , it's just a bit scary sad

Picassopilot Wed 25-Oct-17 19:57:19

My DD had this a few years ago.
No treatment was needed as she was told the body can fight HPV in most cases. They did however (and continue to) do regular smears which have all been negative since.

tomatoplantproject Wed 25-Oct-17 20:03:35

I had this recently and freaked out too. The appointment came within about 4 weeks, the nurse who did it was LOVELY and v reassuring. The group of abnormal cells was so teeny that she didn’t even send the results off - I have to go back again next year and eat healthily/boost my immune system to get rid of the virus.

Best of luck but its much more common than you realise.

cocoboots Wed 25-Oct-17 20:39:59

I've had 2 colposcopy's, due to getting the same letter after my smears as you.
Changes to cells and HPV - t's very very common, please don't worry, i was petrified the first time but the nurses reassure you and 99% of the time there is nothing to worry about. If they see any area that needs removing they can blast it there and then, but it's highly unlikely x

tumtitum Wed 25-Oct-17 20:41:35

I’ve had the same, twice. Had colposcopies both times, had yearly smears for a bit then back to three yearly smears. The colposcopy isn’t nice (I feel v nauseous when they touch my cervix!) but not the worst and it’s over quickly. As PPs have said it is really common so try not to worry smile

HarryBlackberry Wed 25-Oct-17 20:54:02

Hi OP, I just had a colposcopy a few weeks ago and it was fine. Getting the letter was awful, especially as I nearly lost my dm to cervical cancer. I know it's easy said, but try not to worry as it is very common. I was very nervous about the colposcopy and so I called my GP and she prescribed some diazepam to relax me beforehand. I totally recommend this. Also I was given gas and air, and the whole process was fine. Honestly. You can watch them doing it on a screen but I opted out of this! All the best, you'll be fine.

BeFire Thu 26-Oct-17 06:14:51

Thank you so much to everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. It's been really reassuring.
Will try to put it to the back of my mind since it sounds like there could be a long wait for the referral to come through anyway.

BeFire Thu 26-Oct-17 11:57:00

Appointment is on Wednesday confused at least I don't have long to wait.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: