Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian surgery - is this normal?

(12 Posts)
Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 13:04:54

I had major ovarian surgery 4 weeks ago to remove a 20cm cyst.

Over the last couple of days, my stomach has become indented one side of the scar/bloated on the other side. Has anyone had surgery and experienced this? Photo included.

I’m happy to ring the ward but don’t want to be wasting their time if it’s normal! Can’t get a GP appt till next Wednesday.

Daffodils07 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:12:57

I wouldnt have a clue, but you are worried and to me that does not look normal.
Is there a chance of risk of hernia after the type of surgery you had?

Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 17:17:01

Yeah there is, especially if I “do too much”. No one has actually said what “too much” is though. Is that what a hernia looks like?

I know it’s a fairly common surgery so hoping someone can reassure me that they had similar!

MrsMozart Wed 25-Oct-17 17:19:29

Call the ward lass. They're best placed to advise and do anything that needs doing.

Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 17:20:04

Thanks. I had to call them a lot during the first week because of pain/infection etc and I don’t want to be “that patient”...

Daffodils07 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:03:11

I would definitely call them or get a gp appointment asap.
Hope you manage to get it looked at, and I know your worried about wasting there time but in this instance I really think you need it checked.

Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 19:06:44

I rung the ward and they said they can’t see me as it’s 4 weeks post surgery. They said to see my GP or go to the walk in Centre if I can’t get an appt and then I’ll get referred back to them or my surgeon.

I’ve googled it a bit and it does appear to be a hernia. Thank you for giving me the reassurance to speak to them.

Caulk Thu 26-Oct-17 09:48:48

Thanks for wisdom and encouragement- saw a GP this morning who has said it is a hernia and to speak to my surgeon to see if he wants to see me.

Daffodils07 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:39:49

Im glad you got it looked at, hope its not to long a wait to see the surgeon.

MrsMozart Thu 26-Oct-17 13:02:37

Hope it can be sorted quickly.

Caulk Thu 26-Oct-17 13:13:19

The GP kindly told me that all of it should be like the indented part and that the rest was more enlarged than it should be. Great.

Apparently surgery to fix it isn’t done lightly as it’s complicated and she expects it would have to get worse before anyone would do anything. I’d obviously rather it was all done now so I wouldn’t have go take time off work in the future for surgery, as I’m still off now but it doesn’t seem to work like that.

MrsMozart Thu 26-Oct-17 19:24:05

Hopefully it'll behave itself, at least until it can be sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now