Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coming off the pill after 20 years!

(9 Posts)
pillissues Wed 25-Oct-17 10:29:32

I have been taking the pill for about 20 years now with two breaks for my two pregnancies (Dcs now 18 and 15). For the past 10 plus years on Yasmin.
I usually buy it online as my GP does not like prescribing it to anyone and gives me hard core pressure to swap to the mini pill or other contraceptives. I did not want to do this and hated the pressure.

For info I am 43 years old, good health a bit overweight (probably into obese category but only on paper, certainly not huge or anything). My DH had a vasectomy in July and we are waiting to hear if he has the all clear that it has worked should know in the next couple of weeks.

So I no longer need to take the pill but..... am very scared to come off it. Would like to hear if anyone else has done this and how it went re bleeding, moods or any side effects really. I have been on it so long I just don't know how I was before I took it, no noticeable problems.

I have made an appointment with my GP to discuss this but wanted some real experiences as I know they are keen for me to come off it well anyone really as it is expensive! (told this by a nurse at my surgery). Obviously contraceptive wise I no longer need it but am starting a new job in the next few weeks and am worried it will effect me and wondering if I should carry on taking it at least until I am settled in the job?

pillissues Wed 25-Oct-17 12:42:14

Oh dear! Just me then! wink

pillissues Wed 25-Oct-17 20:18:32

Any body? [smile ]

MrsSkeletor Thu 26-Oct-17 00:56:30

I take it. I took it for 20 years then quit it for a copper coil. I felt just fine but sadly hated the coil so had it out and went back to the pill. No issues.

IncyWincySpiderOnRepeat Thu 26-Oct-17 07:09:46

I've taken the pill (microgynon) for about 15 years with just one break when I had DD. Stopped taking it again a few weeks ago to ttc and so far it hasn't been too bad, have had some spotting and period type cramps along with one day with a huge hormonal headache but am otherwise feeling ok. If anything I feel less tired and more clear headed than normal...

Fairylea Thu 26-Oct-17 07:15:35

I think you haven’t had many replies because lots of people do just stop taking it and don’t have any real problems. I stopped taking Yasmin and the only thing I found was that it took a while for my cycles to return to normal as the combined pill raises your prolactin levels which stops ovulation. The levels can (not always) take a while to return to normal.

You would be much better health wise not taking it - as I’m sure you know. The combined pill has a number of higher risks for blood clots especially in someone overweight and at an older age (this is why I switched to cerelle and haven’t looked back - I don’t have any periods at all on it either which has been amazing).

pillissues Thu 26-Oct-17 07:53:22

Thank you for replying. :-) Fairylea I hope that you are right and the lack of response is due to a lack of issues! Would be more worrying if a flurry of reports of terrible side effects appeared!

I do know that I would be better off not taking it as I am a bit overweight and older and this was the reason behind my DH's decision to have a vasectomy. However, I am nervous about coming off it and wanted to prepare myself.

A lot going on at the moment and so did not need extra stress! How do you cope with not being able to plan your periods eg. holidays? I love being able to decide not to have a period when I chose. Also my periods are very light on the pill.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

usernotfound0000 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:04:41

I was on Yasmin for around 15 years before coming off to TTC. It took about 3 months for my period to return and my skin is horrible (main reason why I went on it in the first place!) but no other notable side effects.

pillissues Thu 26-Oct-17 14:04:05

Thanks Usernotfound0000. I didn't have any problems with my skin before the pill so am hoping I wont when I come off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now