Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Avoid old age shrinking!

(48 Posts)
MollyHuaCha Wed 25-Oct-17 00:06:40

Ok, so you opened this thread thinking I was going to give some answers... wink

The teens are telling me I’m actually getting shorter. No, it can’t be! I’m still only perimenopausal.

Any tips from anyone? Or once beyond normal child-rearing age, are women destined to just, well... shrink?

MissConductUS Wed 25-Oct-17 01:29:51

Yes, and it happens to men too, just a bit less than it happens to women.

Viserion Wed 25-Oct-17 01:38:54

If you are noticeably reducing in height already, get yourself off for a health check. If you are developing osteoporosis already, you need it investigating.
Alternatively, you just look shorter to your teens as they are still growing.

MollyHuaCha Wed 25-Oct-17 08:49:34

Miss, you are right. But you forgot to add tips to avoid the inevitable... shock

Viserion I had a bone scan a year ago (I’ve taken years of steroids for a health problem). Result was within normal range.

Anyone remember** the Mrs Pepperpot stories? The poor woman shrank regularly. But she always managed to return to her original size (lucky thing).

Delatron Wed 25-Oct-17 20:43:50

Posture? Many people stoop as they get older!
Pilates is my insurance policy..

Esspee Wed 25-Oct-17 20:48:22

HRT is the answer.

Iris65 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:49:07

Yoga is mine and hanging upside down from the bars in the park every week wink

whoareyoukidding Wed 25-Oct-17 20:54:11

Mind you, my feet are bigger than they used to be, anyone else had this as they aged?

Esspee Wed 25-Oct-17 20:56:53

Yes, Whoareyoukidding, I now take a 6 instead of a 5 in shoes.

shewolfmum Wed 25-Oct-17 21:54:59

Yoga

AnneGrommit Wed 25-Oct-17 21:57:14

Yes I'm shorter but with bigger feet. Great.

MollyHuaCha Wed 25-Oct-17 21:59:32

I’m trying to think how this could be a good thing?

Hmm... I know! I guess that means you’re less likely to fall over...

AnneGrommit Wed 25-Oct-17 21:59:43

And not only that but I've gone up exactly half a size so can no longer shop in places that only sell full sizes. I guess I'll go up a full size eventually. Just around the time that my once fairly long legs become mere stumps.

AdoraBell Wed 25-Oct-17 22:00:39

DH has lost an inch. He is not impressed.

I think Pilates or Yoga should help. I know I am standing taller since starting Pilates.

mayhew Fri 27-Oct-17 07:13:18

When I was measured at 42, I had lost 3cm. I was horrified.
I started Pilates. After 10 years, I rechecked my height out of curiosity. I had regained 2cm!

CanIBuffalo Fri 27-Oct-17 07:18:16

Yoga.
It in perfect world it would be available on the NHS for over 50s. Or everyone.

MollyHuaCha Fri 27-Oct-17 08:41:38

Wow, interesting re Pilates and yoga.

<trundles off to buy a mat...>

Delatron Fri 27-Oct-17 10:47:40

Its something to do with the space (fluid) between the vertebrae.
As we age the space compresses and the fluid decrease. Pilates and yoga help keep your spine healthy and keep that space and fluid between the vertebrae. They also stop that 'hunch' forward you see in lots of old people. You definitely feel taller after class.

lljkk Fri 27-Oct-17 17:25:07

Gosh, Yoga is popular on MN right now.
Just... why??
My mother used to drag me to yoga when I was a teenager.
I think I'd rather gnaw my right arm off than go back.

Delatron Sat 28-Oct-17 11:22:35

I hated it in my 20's, couldn't see the point. Then after two children and a bad back I discovered Pilates. Amazing for core strength and injury prevention. I'll do it forever. Don't love yoga but go from time to time.

lljkk Sat 28-Oct-17 12:15:12

Do people quite like the meditation aspects, or the social side? Do those things keep you motivated?

CanIBuffalo Sat 28-Oct-17 15:33:09

Head space, flexibility, strength and a waist. A body that's a good 10 years younger than it was when I started. No woo or social side in the classes I go to.

lljkk Sat 28-Oct-17 19:49:53

You could get those things from other sports or exercise or activity, though, CaniBuffalo. So why Pilates/Yoga and not running, swimming or weights or Body Pump, etc.

DancingLedge Sat 28-Oct-17 19:53:10

I loved Mrs Pepperpot !

busyboysmum Sat 28-Oct-17 19:56:44

Yoga is ace for stretching every part of your body. Also for exercising you without you realising it as for me I'm so busy trying to get in the right position I don't get bored or feel like a hamster on a treadmill which I do in the gym.

I don't go to the spiritual type breathing yoga classes though. I like the active dynamic classes like ashtanga and vinyassa flow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: