Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

No periods and can't conceive

(18 Posts)
dilydaly Tue 24-Oct-17 21:42:29

I haven't had a period in about 6 months. I have PCOS but I've never gone this long without a period. They were always pretty un-regular and a little all over the place and maybe twice in my life have I actually skipped one. Then all of a sudden nothing, for 6 months. We've been trying for a baby for almost 2 years with no luck (have 2 children already). Ovulation kits have never showed a positive result for ovulation (but it does say on the box that it won't work if you have PCOS). I'm 30 years old. Anyone experienced this or know what could be happening ? Thanks smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 25-Oct-17 07:06:18

Yes I have had this issue and it is due to PCOS. Its a condition that does not go away of its own accord. OPKs are indeed a waste of time when PCOS is an issue.

I would look into seeking fertility treatment as a private patient but do your researches very carefully before parting with your hard earned cash.

dilydaly Thu 26-Oct-17 13:57:24

I'm not sure that's something I could afford at the moment, the cost runs into the thousands. So there's nothing the GP could prescribe to induce ovulation ? Does this mean I've stopped ovulating too ? sad Thanks for your reply

Themummy76 Thu 26-Oct-17 22:29:29

Go to gp

They can run blood tests and other basic investigations

Themummy76 Thu 26-Oct-17 22:29:43

You might have early menopause

Musicaltheatremum Fri 27-Oct-17 23:56:40

Get referred to the fertility clinic. NHS they may be able to give you drugs to induce ovulation. I wouldn't do this a a GP as you need scanning. It needn't necessarily cost any money.

dilydaly Wed 01-Nov-17 21:59:54

I've read up on early menopause and while I'm no doctor I don't think that's it. I'll head to the GP and hope they can help me. Thanks for all the help smile

sortingmyselfoutslowly Thu 02-Nov-17 12:30:27

I had the same when ttc my first. Had some tablets to bring on a period then managed to conceive. Your GP can prescribe them. Good luck

dilydaly Tue 14-Nov-17 11:13:31

What tablets are they likely to give me to bring on a period ? Will bringing on a period guarantee ovulation though ? Will they put me on these tablets if I'm overweight ? I think that's also putting me off going to the doctor, the fact they'll likely just tell me to lose weight, which for a PCOS sufferer, isn't always easy.
Thanks

ronswansonstache Tue 14-Nov-17 11:23:23

Hi dilydaly if you see a gp they should at least offer to send you in for blood tests to check hormone levels. I've just started taking Inofolic - a dietary supplement meant to help the body reduce the symptoms of PCOS. My consultant recommended it because my PCOS is mild and I appear to be ovulating (although I'm unable to conceive thus far...).

The doctors I've seen so far have been fairly sympathetic about how hard it is to lose weight with PCOS so hopefully you can see a doctor that will look at your wider symptoms.

redannie118 Tue 14-Nov-17 11:30:10

Hi i wasnt ovulating ( found out by blood tests) but was having periods so a little different to you. Clomid taken for 6 months put me right and my son is now 19 !!. I would see your gp and ask to be referred for blood tests. Good luck smile

Fairylea Tue 14-Nov-17 11:35:24

Have you had your prolactin levels checked? Simple blood test. If they are very high it can stop you ovulating and you can have medication to reduce the levels. I have very high prolactin and was under consultant care both times I’ve conceived within 18 months of being on the right medication.

flumpybear Tue 14-Nov-17 11:50:12

Read up on Angus castus as it can help with pcos if I recall correctly

dilydaly Tue 14-Nov-17 13:46:39

Ok thanks, will make an appointment to see the doctor and hopefully they'll get some blood tests done. Thanks for all the advice, nice to know I'm not on my own here !

bonzo77 Tue 14-Nov-17 13:48:32

TBH is you do have PCOS then it’s a medical thing and though obviously TTC is the driving factor, it’s a condition that warrants investigation anyway.

Bunnyfuller Tue 14-Nov-17 23:06:58

Ask for thyroid check too, that can bugger up periods horrifically X gl

dilydaly Tue 14-Nov-17 23:39:39

Wish my doctor felt the same bonzo. Once I'd pushed to find out why I had so much excess hair, they did an ultrasound, told me it was PCOS, that I'd probably never have kids, and send me on my way.

dilydaly Sat 18-Nov-17 21:12:29

Well I phoned the doctor, couldn't get an appointment so she said she'd give me a form for a blood test. Had that done yesterday and should have the results in Tuesday afternoon. They're testing for prolactin levels, hormone levels, renal function and thyroid function. Fingers crossed for Tuesday, can't come quick enough !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now