Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any GPS or nurses around - Dm fall and cut to head

(22 Posts)
Neolara Tue 24-Oct-17 20:00:23

I'm staying with my parents over half term. Mum (78 yo) was out with Dad and has just fallen over and hit her head. She has a massive bruise and graze on check and a cut about an inch long on her eyebrow. The cut is oozing but not flooding. Should we be trying to find an out of hours GP to steri-strip it? Or just stick a plaster on and ice the bruise? Dad says it's virtually impossible to get to see out of hours medics round here. I don't know the set up locally. Thanks.

Fffion Tue 24-Oct-17 20:01:17

Can't you take her to A&E?

NoStraightEdges Tue 24-Oct-17 20:02:23

It needs cleaning properly and to be checked out, I think.

Is the a minor injuries unit near you?

NoStraightEdges Tue 24-Oct-17 20:03:01

Sorry, I skim read!

Call ooh and they'll tell you what facilities are nearby

vitaminC Tue 24-Oct-17 20:05:22

I would say she likely needs stitches. Is there a minor injuries unit you can get to?
If not, then A&E.

FadedRed Tue 24-Oct-17 20:06:20

A&E, she needs a neurological examination, a skull X-ray to rule out fracture, maybe a scan to rule out internal bleeding, and probably suturing of the laceration.

SweetChickadee Tue 24-Oct-17 20:07:22

Mum did similar recently. She was with a nurse who took her to A&E

Girliefriendlikesflowers Tue 24-Oct-17 20:07:43

I'm a nurse, she needs seeing in a&e and almost certainly stitches.

FadedRed Tue 24-Oct-17 20:07:51

And a tetanus booster, as she is in the age group that didn't always get the full x5 tetanus immunisation course.

Migraleve Tue 24-Oct-17 20:10:39

A plaster? No, she needs A&E - that’s what it’s there for

jimijack Tue 24-Oct-17 20:10:56

A&e, also why did she fall? Trip/slip/ black out?
Any other injuries?

Littlechocola Tue 24-Oct-17 20:12:12

She needs to be seen. (Nurse)

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 24-Oct-17 20:15:16

They need to take a look at her and make sure she's okay. You can't take risks, OP.

whatsleep Tue 24-Oct-17 20:18:38

In someone so elderly best to get checked over properly. Hope she’s ok, must have been frightening for your dad too 😞

Summer1986 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:24:07

Is she on Warfarin or any other anticoagulant? If so A&E without a second thought.
Otherwise out of hours/walk in centre. If you Google NHS choices you will be able to see what services are available locally

JohnHunter Tue 24-Oct-17 20:36:12

Call 111 and they will direct you appropriately. OOH GPs aren't very well set up for dealing with injuries. If there isn't a minor injuries unit nearby, you might well end up in A&E. If she is on warfarin/apixaban then you might as well go directly to A&E as she's already bought herself a scan.

No-one here can advise you properly based on the information in the OP. 111 will ask the right questions and know what is available locally.

In the meantime, direct pressure to the wound until it is no longer bleeding.

Neolara Tue 24-Oct-17 21:00:37

Thanks all. I rang 111 and they have told us to take her to A & E. Dad's just taken her now. They are both of the let's-not-make-a-fuss mentality and were not at all keen to go despite the fact it's still oozing after 2 hours.

Footle Tue 24-Oct-17 22:58:54

Never mind the oozing - they must have heard of concussion, surely?

Floralnomad Tue 24-Oct-17 23:02:24

The issue for me is less about the cut but the reason for the fall , was it a trip or was it a collapse type . Either way A&E is the way to go .

whatsleep Wed 25-Oct-17 08:29:29

Hope all is well now and that you mum is back home by now flowers

Neolara Wed 25-Oct-17 09:16:30

She was put back together with some steristrip and has a massive black eye this morning. No concussion, just a bit of a shock. She tripped somewhere where that wasn't well lit.

I agree it's ridiculous that they were considering not going to see a & E. For context, I literally was never taken to the doctor between the ages of 1 and 16.I think it's partly a generation thing and partly really, really not wanting to make a fuss.

whatsleep Wed 25-Oct-17 20:08:21

Glad it’s all ended well, and no serious damage done. And glad you made if through the first 16 years of your life!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now