Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hypothyroidism and Exercise

(3 Posts)
WWYD2016 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:20:20

Hi guys. I need your opinion. I have for the last 7 years taken great care of my body through a combination of cardio and strength training and a balanced diet, I couldn't be happier with my physique.
I was upset to be recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.
I've heard weight increase to be an unavoidable side effect so have upped my exercise intensity and successfully upped my muscle mass, reduced my fat mass thus increasing my basal metabolic rate.
Good eh? No, if you believe what you read online.
Apparently strength and cardio training by nature damage the body forcing repair (catabolic), but is apparently harmful if you have Hypothyroidism.
WTF.
What are your thoughts?

Aquamarine1029 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:56:51

That all sounds like crap to me. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism over 20 years ago, was put on replacement, and have had no issues with weight gain or any type of exercise.

SheSparkles Wed 25-Oct-17 12:59:25

I have hypothyroidism and have done for 17 years. I've ,its 4.5 stone this year through diet and exercise and have never been in better shape and health. Once you get your dosage sorted out, you should be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now