Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tinnitus

(3 Posts)
Vegecook Tue 24-Oct-17 10:32:53

I have unexplained tinnitus, it's not driving me too mad yet but seems to be getting worse. Hearing isnt affected thankfully and Doctor has advised a MRI and some brain wave/nerve test which I'll have next week (private healthcare) A course of steroids made no difference. Does anyone have any experience of this? Can it just disappear?

redeyetonowheregood Wed 25-Oct-17 22:47:08

Dhi, I have tinnitus, mainly just in one ear. Mine hasn't gone away but I have learned to live with it. I have had it for about 10 years now and found it very difficult initially. Mine first presented when I was under an enormous amount of pressure.it is always there but gets even worse when I am very stressed.

I have a sound machine by the bed and speakers under the pillow to mask it at night. I am utterly dependent on these.

I was told there is no cure and that cognitive behavioural therapy is helpful to help you to live with it. It isn't available to me in my area on the nhs though and I can't pay for it myself so haven't had it.

All the best

Vegecook Mon 06-Nov-17 12:33:39

Thanks Redeye sorry to hear you've got it too. I've had the MRI and other test and they've come back fine. I'll see the ENT Doc again this week again but am pretty sure he's not going to tell me anything new. It's loud just now because there's no other loud noise in the house but its not unbearable so like you I think i need to just get used to having it and learn to deal with it myself. I've had a very stressful few months and his could be the result of that. I've read magnesium can help in some instances so am trying that too. Hopefully, it doesn't get worse I'm trying to zone out on it but it's difficult. It's a high frequency sound in both ears so not pleasant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now