Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breastfeeding when sick

(3 Posts)
katelily2017 Tue 24-Oct-17 09:05:18

Hi guys,

I’ve got really bad flu at the moment and feel so poorly have been sick quite a lot and can’t keep anything down.

Not managed to eat anything for over 24hours so far. Does anyone know if this will affect my milk supply? Dd is 9 months old and I’m in the process of weaning her but she’s really fussy and not eating half as much as I’d like. I’m really worried if I can’t eat she won’t be getting enough nutrition from my milk or my supply might stop?

Can anyone shed any light? Xxx

MonkeyJumping Tue 24-Oct-17 09:12:56

Not eating for a few days won't really affect your supply or the quality of the milk, so don't worry. Your body will use up its reserves of calories and stored nutrients to make the milk.

You must drink liquid though - whatever you can keep down! - as dehydration will badly reduce supply.

GuntyMcGee Tue 24-Oct-17 09:43:55

Agree with monkeyjumping. Your body will use its reserves to keep Bf going but you do need hydration. Perhaps trying some hydration powders may give you a bit of a perk up.

Also, your body will be producing antibodies to your flu strain and will pass them through to baby and give her some protection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now