Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Feel terrible a week after surgery

(22 Posts)
Minkymonkeymoomoo Tue 24-Oct-17 07:31:57

I went into hospital a week ago for a laparoscopy procedure but during the process I lost a lot of blood and the surgeon struggled to stop the internal bleeding.
Anyway my blood count went from 140 to 68 so I had to have a blood transfusion.

One week on and I’m still feeling very light headed and very weak and starting to get a bit of a fever.

Is this normal? If it’s just a case of waiting to get my strength up then I’m ok with that but wanted to see if anyone knows if this is normal?

ShakeTheDisease Tue 24-Oct-17 07:37:41

How did you feel immediately after the blood transfusion? I got a massive boost of energy when I had one. Did that happen for you and you've got worse, or has it been like this the whole time?

Assuming you've been discharged from hospital - are you at home? What advice did you get about your recovery?

LittleCandle Tue 24-Oct-17 07:40:49

Ring 111 and get some advice. This doesn't sound right to me, especially the fever. Better to be safe than sorry. You might have an infection starting.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 24-Oct-17 07:43:13

You need to be seen if you've got a fever. I'd hang on until the GP surgery opens this morning and request an emergency appointment because at least they'll know your history.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon 💐

crabb Tue 24-Oct-17 07:43:24

If you have a fever you definitely need to get checked over.

Minkymonkeymoomoo Tue 24-Oct-17 08:01:26

I didn’t feel much different after the transfusion. I was allowed Home straight after the blood transfusion and have to go back next week for a re test.

I’m not on iron tablets - wasn’t told to take any.
I’m going to ring the hospital now - bit worried

Doyouremember Tue 24-Oct-17 08:01:57

Ring the ward you were discharged from and speak to them they will have your details and be able to tell you the best course of action for you. Aside from anything else post -surgery with a fever they will need to rule out sepsis. Please make sure you get seen this morning OP.

eurochick Tue 24-Oct-17 08:22:33

The fever is indicative of infection. You need medical attention.

Minkymonkeymoomoo Tue 24-Oct-17 08:27:02

I’ve rung the hospital and they asked if I’m still taking my iron tablets - I asked what iron tablets?! They never told me to take any.
They said it’s all related to the low blood count so the fever feelings should go once I start taking iron tablets. I’ve sent DH to get some

Minkymonkeymoomoo Tue 24-Oct-17 08:27:35

By the way I’ve just taken my temperature and it’s 37.1

ShakeTheDisease Tue 24-Oct-17 09:10:36

Your temperature is pretty normal then. I'm surprised the transfusion didn't make you feel better but hopefully the iron will. Get the ward or your GP surgery to do a prescription for iron tablets as they'll probably be stronger than over the counter. Iron will take a while to work though, maybe a week before you really start to feel the benefit and more to make a big difference. You could try getting the Spatone iron enriched water sachets and taking more of those - they're weaker but easier for the body to absorb.

Minkymonkeymoomoo Wed 25-Oct-17 06:37:26

I spoke to the hospital yesterday and they said to take iron tablets 3 x a day and all symptoms are normal.
However after another night constantly either freezing one minute or sweating the next - I’ve committed the ultimate sin and googled my symptoms. It says I could be having an allergic reaction to the transfusion- so why haven’t the hospital said anything?
It’s a private hospital btw!

reallybadidea Wed 25-Oct-17 06:40:46

It's unlikely to be a reaction to the transfusion, that would normally happen within minutes/hours.

If you have a fever then you need to be seen. Try and get an appointment with your GP. As others have said it will take a while for you to feel back to normal, not just after the blood loss but you've had surgery too. Hope you feel better soon.

DownstairsMixUp Wed 25-Oct-17 06:44:32

That temperature is ok. Do you mean you just feel feverish? Did the hospital not give you any take home medication? It should have it on your discharge letter if you had any. You’ll need higher iron dosages than from the shop, like ferrous sulphate 200mg prescribed

ohshitwhathaveidonetoday Wed 25-Oct-17 06:50:17

I had a blood transfusion and felt similar to you. I didn’t get the immediate boost that people talk about. It took 3+ weeks on ferrous sulphate 200mg 3 x day to feel vaguely human again!

Minkymonkeymoomoo Wed 25-Oct-17 07:16:18

My temp has gone to 37.5 today, was 37.1 yesterday.
I feel like you do at the start of a flu, achey all over, freezing one minute and sweating the next. My lower back is aching but that might be AF arriving soon.
I’m not normally ill and never get a cold/fever as my immune system is higher than the average person so fights everything off

ruby29 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:45:55

Please make a GP appt for today. You need to be examined to exclude an infection. I really wouldn't leave it.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

DownstairsMixUp Wed 25-Oct-17 19:23:29

Have you booked a gp appointment

Minkymonkeymoomoo Thu 26-Oct-17 12:46:48

Been to see my consultant today, turns out I have an infection and a 10cm blood clot!
I’m on 2 strong anti biotics and if no better by Saturday they will re admit me.

crabb Thu 26-Oct-17 13:00:57

Thank goodness you were seen! Hope you won’t need to be readmitted.

Delatron Thu 26-Oct-17 13:08:08

Thank goodness you were seen. Was about to say I have had infections without a temperature. It depends on your immune system.

Minkymonkeymoomoo Thu 26-Oct-17 14:31:13

I’m just glad I took your advice on here as when I rang on Tuesday the nurses just told me my symptoms were normal! So annoying, really feel I was being fobbed off. Just shows going private isn’t always as good as it’s cracked up to be

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: