Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Infected ear (piercing)

(9 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:41:44

I wear earrings/studs all the time, never take them out, a few days a go my ear was itching and hurting, took my earring out today and the earring had started to corrode in my ear (obviously plated and not solid silver/cheap ear rings). I have bathed it and tried to remove any of the green gunk the earring left behind but it feels very hot and itchy and is sticky. Will I need antibiotic cream or will it be fine if I keep bathing it? Also I'm not sure if I should leave it without a earring in? I'm worried it will heel over but I don't wan to make it worse.

NumbNelly Sun 22-Oct-17 20:44:24

I'd go to a piercing shop (ones that use needles)
They should be able to give you implant grade jewellery if it's safe, if not they'll tell you to retire the piercing.
I personally think infected piercings should be kept open for drainage but some think differently

barkingfly Sun 22-Oct-17 20:53:06

Sounds more like a nickel allergy.

GummyGoddess Sun 22-Oct-17 20:56:03

Where on the ear is the piercing?

Lovemusic33 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:58:34

At the moment I have no earring in as it's too painful, it's leaking puss (sorry if tmi). I'm pretty sure it's infected as it's burning up as well as the puss.

I think I will just have to risk it closing over sad

Lovemusic33 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:00:33

It's just a normal ear piercing (normal place), I have been wearing the earrings for 6 months, they were just simple studs. I don't really wear fancy earrings, just keep studs in all the time. The other ear is fine so I don't think it's an allergy.

GummyGoddess Sun 22-Oct-17 21:06:57

I occasionally used to get this, I just left the earring out until it was healed, bathing it in salt water daily. Then just re pierce the ear when the infection had been gone for a few weeks. I haven't had to deal with that for many years though.

Perhaps look into some bioflex/bioplast studs for a while.

HeyRoly Sun 22-Oct-17 21:12:52

It should be fine with lots of bathing. Add a pinch of salt to a small amount of boiled water (like a quarter of a mug) and then dip in some cotton wool and hold it to the earlobe, as hot as you can stand - but not scalding obviously. Do this twice a day, more if you can manage it.

How old is the piercing? I'd honestly surprised if it was an infection in a long-healed piercing. Either way, the bathing should help, whether it's an infection or irritation from a crappy metal.

Lovemusic33 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:19:07

Thanks ladies, will keep bathing it. It's a old piercing. I usually only wear solid silver but these were plated, I have ordered some new solid silver studs to put in when it's cleared up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now