Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had Botox in their back for pain?

(13 Posts)
duckduckmouse Sun 22-Oct-17 19:42:05

Just what the title says really? I have chronic pain following a nephrostomy and the pain team have now offered me Botox in my back all the way around my scapula and down to my sacriliate joint.
I have been taking a lot of gabapentin for months now and I am tapering off of it. I've previously had trigger point injections with very limited success and I'm clutching at straws. I know the Botox should last between 3-6 months which would be amazing.
Looking for all sides of the story really, thank you

allypally999 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:44:03

Nope haven't even heard of this but hoping to learn more so watching this!

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 11:09:00

It's supposed to paralyse the muscles in the area where you have pain. Then when they are paralysed the nerves fire but no pain as no spasm OR that the muscle doesn't spasm and then the nerves don't fire.
Some people need it often, some people have it once and the nerves forget how to hurt or sometimes they just use it as a method of pain management without drugs.
I'm still waiting for the appointment, but I am so so desperate.

allypally999 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:17:58

I know people who have had injections in their back (which for the most part did work) but no mention of botox. As you've already tried most things not much to lose but I'd do lots of research into any possible side effects. Hope someone comes in who knows all about it eh?

CMH123 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:18:01

Is this done under a general anaesthetic or a local?

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 13:37:21

They sedate you so it's not a ga but I said I would prefer to be conscious. I've had a lot of injections in my back before and I could bare them. I had only one set done when I was sedated.

I had a seizure for over 90 mins when I had local anaesthetic in my back before but I wasn't sedated so I'm not sure.

I am scared but need to move on with my life and can't until this is sorted. It's holding me back on having another baby.

I hadnt heard about it either xx

TheFairyCaravan Mon 23-Oct-17 13:44:01

I've had Botox for migraines. It was really effective. When I was having it done the consultant was telling me about how it's used for back pain and other conditions. I suffer with horrendous back trouble, if I was offered it I'd have it.

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 13:45:46

@TheFairyCaravan ohhhh baby!! That's what I want to hear 😍

thatdearoctopus Mon 23-Oct-17 14:44:19

Watching this with interest for dh, who is beside himself with lower back pain. He's had steroid injections but they haven't really helped.

allypally999 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:34:51

This is very interesting - I have migraines and back pain sad

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 19:36:33

I promise to keep you posted. I have pain all the way from my pelvis up to and around my scapula.
My back is in a constant spasm on the left side.

tangledyarn Mon 23-Oct-17 22:25:40

I also have botox for migraines every 3 months. It's not a miracle cure.. still struggling with migraines and on gapabentin and naproxen but it has made a massive difference and is quick and easy..no anaesthetic or anything needed.

thenightsky Mon 23-Oct-17 22:30:07

This is interesting as I suffer lower back pain, but on my left side so definitely muscle related rather than bone.

If your muscle is injected with botox, will it mean that it loses all strength? Will it waste in the months it is paralysed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now