Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Has anyone had Botox in their back for pain?

(24 Posts)
duckduckmouse Sun 22-Oct-17 19:42:05

Just what the title says really? I have chronic pain following a nephrostomy and the pain team have now offered me Botox in my back all the way around my scapula and down to my sacriliate joint.
I have been taking a lot of gabapentin for months now and I am tapering off of it. I've previously had trigger point injections with very limited success and I'm clutching at straws. I know the Botox should last between 3-6 months which would be amazing.
Looking for all sides of the story really, thank you

allypally999 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:44:03

Nope haven't even heard of this but hoping to learn more so watching this!

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 11:09:00

It's supposed to paralyse the muscles in the area where you have pain. Then when they are paralysed the nerves fire but no pain as no spasm OR that the muscle doesn't spasm and then the nerves don't fire.
Some people need it often, some people have it once and the nerves forget how to hurt or sometimes they just use it as a method of pain management without drugs.
I'm still waiting for the appointment, but I am so so desperate.

allypally999 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:17:58

I know people who have had injections in their back (which for the most part did work) but no mention of botox. As you've already tried most things not much to lose but I'd do lots of research into any possible side effects. Hope someone comes in who knows all about it eh?

CMH123 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:18:01

Is this done under a general anaesthetic or a local?

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 13:37:21

They sedate you so it's not a ga but I said I would prefer to be conscious. I've had a lot of injections in my back before and I could bare them. I had only one set done when I was sedated.

I had a seizure for over 90 mins when I had local anaesthetic in my back before but I wasn't sedated so I'm not sure.

I am scared but need to move on with my life and can't until this is sorted. It's holding me back on having another baby.

I hadnt heard about it either xx

TheFairyCaravan Mon 23-Oct-17 13:44:01

I've had Botox for migraines. It was really effective. When I was having it done the consultant was telling me about how it's used for back pain and other conditions. I suffer with horrendous back trouble, if I was offered it I'd have it.

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 13:45:46

@TheFairyCaravan ohhhh baby!! That's what I want to hear 😍

thatdearoctopus Mon 23-Oct-17 14:44:19

Watching this with interest for dh, who is beside himself with lower back pain. He's had steroid injections but they haven't really helped.

allypally999 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:34:51

This is very interesting - I have migraines and back pain sad

duckduckmouse Mon 23-Oct-17 19:36:33

I promise to keep you posted. I have pain all the way from my pelvis up to and around my scapula.
My back is in a constant spasm on the left side.

tangledyarn Mon 23-Oct-17 22:25:40

I also have botox for migraines every 3 months. It's not a miracle cure.. still struggling with migraines and on gapabentin and naproxen but it has made a massive difference and is quick and easy..no anaesthetic or anything needed.

thenightsky Mon 23-Oct-17 22:30:07

This is interesting as I suffer lower back pain, but on my left side so definitely muscle related rather than bone.

If your muscle is injected with botox, will it mean that it loses all strength? Will it waste in the months it is paralysed?

dissapointedafternoon Wed 29-Nov-17 21:11:20

I'm having this on Friday I can't wait, I'll keep you all posted. I have name changed but it's still me Georgia here so I will let you know.
I'm very ill now. My health has taken a very rapid decline despite being on 1200mg of gabapentin 3 time a day and also 75 of amatryptaline and then I've been on codeine Tramadol and oramorph for a week.
I've been in hospital 3 out of the last 6 days.
I am so so so so done

dissapointedafternoon Fri 01-Dec-17 15:56:28

I had it done this afternoon around 12
I hardly see in so out of it.
I will update you ally, but the local anasfhstkc is already helping.
I'll mask you Utd.

Thank all the support
Xxx

dissapointedafternoon Sat 02-Dec-17 13:49:53

Ok so I clearly was unable to see when writing yesterday.
The local anaesthetic has worked really well. I'm very very bruised and feel like I've been run over but it seems that my pain I had before the op is less then it was. This is probably down the local anaesthetic.
Once the Botox kicks in which I've been told takes a few weeks I'll let you know
X

dissapointedafternoon Fri 08-Dec-17 09:52:29

It still hasn't helped.

I'm beginning to loose faith

allypally999 Sat 09-Dec-17 08:55:58

damn ... how disappointing for you! sad

dissapointedafternoon Sun 10-Dec-17 20:53:33

Today I think it might be starting to work but my husband and I are distraught and we are going to try and get an appointment at the London pain Clinic this week and also for me to be an inpatient whilst they sort the mess out. I object massively to opiods for the constipation nausea and exhaustion they cause. Constipation is an understatement. I have piles and need to drink so much lactulose and use suppositories.
The hospital have not responded to my complaint and have ignored my third extension deadline. They are now ignoring my advocate. I think they must have been advised to leave it as the PHO will have to do an investigation and they will be sued anyway for robbing me of my dignity pride and independent and leaving me permanently damaged. I can't get pregnant on these meds and I am exhausted trying to explain why.
The hospital triage nurse who was horrendous this week opened a ridiculous adult safe guarding case against me and said I left to go to another hospital to get iv morphine as that is what I wanted. She said I refused all other meds. I didnt at all but had taken codeine tramadol paracetamol and ibuprofen within 4 hours so I was not going to take more co codamol and wait in a chair when I cannot sit for hours alone in hospital.
This week I ended up covered in my own vomit for hours as I didn't want to bother anyone and I have no issues getting on with the team there. It is simply the triage nurses where I get carted to for the waiting room even though being unable to walk and needing to be carried down stairs.
I have twice had paramedics come and give IV Paracetamol and morphine and then let my stay at home as it is really obvious that there are no safe guarding issues for me here and that I am being pushed to my boundaries and must be left alone in a&e at night since I have no family here. My sister is of no use and I do not want to beg for her help. She lives in Brighton and is not one to help unless it's on her terms which means for a day she will visit and actually make more mess and disrupt our son more then help.
I've been taken off the safe guarding list by the GP surgery who said I'm clearly fine but neglected by the pain team. They said they will call the pain team on Monday. This was on Friday.
So I'm still waiting and thankfully Monday is tomorrow but I am not looking for drugs I just want this over with and in the mean time I need pain killers that are better then codeine oramorph and Tramadol. I don't want to go back on Fentanyl patches again because they are awful to stop I don't believe they helped the pain and they also have a stigma attached to them which nurses and doctors speak loudly about when they are in your cubicle.
I'm so fed up. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm supposed to go to Switzerland for Christmas but I don't know if I'll be well enough to travel in the car and my parents may end up coming to me.
we don't have enough money for a holiday so this was meant to be our holiday although I accept there are more serious things at hand now.
Please anyone any ideas

OrangeCarpet Mon 11-Dec-17 06:21:46

I’m sorry you are going through this. What was the reason for your nephrostomy and Long long ago? We’re you pain free before this? Did the pain start immediately after it? Where in your back do you feel your pain?

dissapointedafternoon Thu 14-Dec-17 12:59:29

It's worked!!!!!!!!

I could cry

dissapointedafternoon Thu 14-Dec-17 13:02:11

Pain was when the nephrostomy was removed in May 2016. I had it for approx 16 weeks to alleviate hydronephrosis pain when I was 21 weeks pregnant.
The darkest days of our lives have followed. I went to the London pain clinic on Monday who were just so so so fantastic.
I now know the Botox has kicked in. I was having a very bad flare up in the last 7 weeks but it's passing.
It's made my life questionable at times, I am so maternal and having my son away from me at nursery or grandparents (my in laws) and then not seeing him as I was in bed was killing me. I couldn't even find the motivation to come here for support.

OrangeCarpet Fri 15-Dec-17 16:56:22

I’m very glad to hear it has worked!

dissapointedafternoon Sun 14-Jan-18 20:00:41

I'm scheduled for more. I'm using lidocaine patches too which have been life changing.
It's incredible the transformation I've had.

I think I need to get it done more quickly though privately instead of on the NHS I am afraid if I leave it too long I will be back at square one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: