Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bleeding and clotting on period

(19 Posts)
Wargghhhh Sat 21-Oct-17 15:16:19

Hello

Just wondered if anybody could please give me some advice. I have had worse cramps than normal and am bleeding way way more than I usually do with quite a bit of clotting (and they feel like quite big ones.. ugghh!). Am leaking all over the place and daren't go out.

Will this pass?! Do I need to worry or is it just a very heavy period? I have never experienced anything like this before. Am 44.

Thanks

RavingRoo Sat 21-Oct-17 15:19:25

Keep a diary of the period then if it happens again see a doctor. One dodgy period isn’t usually cause for concern; but 2-3 with bleeding between can be cause for concern.

PollyPerky Sat 21-Oct-17 19:54:12

At 44 you are possibly going into peri menopause. Heavy bleeds can be common but keep a record and ask your GP for meds to control the bleeding if it keeps happening. The clotting is actual 'good'- blood is supposed to clot if it's behaving normally! Do you mean you see clots when you go to the loo or they are on your san pro?

PollyPerky Sat 21-Oct-17 19:54:41

ps Taking Ibuprofen can lessen bleeding. 2 every 4 hrs.

Wargghhhh Sat 21-Oct-17 21:20:54

Thanks for the replies. I can feel the blood clots, they feel massive when they are passing through. I haven't been able to leave the house today and am spending every half hour on the toilet pretty much. Going through tampons and pads like nobody's business!

Am not sure how I'm going to get through the night!

PollyPerky Sat 21-Oct-17 22:35:55

Have you taken some ibuprofen? It stops the flow a bit.

IndianaMoleWoman Sat 21-Oct-17 22:40:15

That is a lot of bleeding. I know it gets trotted out a lot on here, but I’d call 111 for advice; I seem to recall a similar thread and the OP needed to go to A&E (not to alarm you). Regardless of their advice, try and keep a record of how often you are flooding a pad in case you need treatment, even if it is a non-urgent trip to your GP further down the line.

bettytaghetti Sat 21-Oct-17 22:59:31

I had bleeding like this & it turned out to be caused by uterine cysts. See your GP if this continues.

Wargghhhh Sat 21-Oct-17 23:14:28

Thanks all, it's calmed down a bit in the last couple of hours so I'll see how I go through the night.

Shankarankalina Sat 21-Oct-17 23:42:18

Hi op, this happened me lately. Every day I thought it would stop, and it didn't. After three weeks non stop, I had bloods done, and was put on iron and Cyklokapron x 10 days to stop the bleeding. It resumed shortly after the ten days, and I've since had a D&C and a Mirena coil inserted. I am 45 and the blood tests didn't indicate peri-menopause. Do see a doctor if it continues and/or happens again next month. I found it debilitating and exhausting, and a terrible intrusion on everyday life.

Wargghhhh Sun 22-Oct-17 09:03:42

Oh God I can cope with a day or 2 but not 3 weeks of this.. poor you!

Ended up nearly collapsing last night and called 111 - they were very good actually, wanted to send an ambulance but I ended up talking to a paramedic and I decided it wasn't needed.

I feel absolutely drained this morning - hoping for less blood loss.

It is so rubbish being female sometimes!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 22-Oct-17 09:10:00

Do not put up with this; you need a referral to a gynaecologist via your GP asap. You need to find out exactly why this is happening as well as treating the symptoms.

IndianaMoleWoman Sun 22-Oct-17 09:18:00

OP do you have someone at home with you in case you do collapse?

Picassopilot Sun 22-Oct-17 10:01:00

Can you get to an out of hours GP (if not - A&E) today?
They can give you some tranexamic acid to help until you can get a Gynae referral.
Loosing so much blood that you collapse is serious stuff shock!

Wargghhhh Tue 24-Oct-17 21:44:06

Just to update you, have been to docs and had bloods taken and haemoglobin dangerously low so looks like a blood transfusion tomorrow...hopefully will feel better soon!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 25-Oct-17 07:08:19

That will help but it is in your interests to find out why this is happening in the first instance. Fibroids and endometriosis can both cause heavy bleeding to arise so you should see a gynae as well.

DesignedForLife Wed 25-Oct-17 10:13:31

Hope the transfusion went well? Are they arranging any other treatment or tests yet? Sounds like you need them ASAP.

My periods have been insanely heavy lately, though not quite as bad as you describe. My GP has put me on mefanaic acid and now iron (as I'm now anemic) whilst I wait for referral to come through

mumof2kiddos Thu 26-Oct-17 16:30:52

This is how the diagnosis of my fibroids happened. Suddenly at the fag end of one cycle I started bleeding like total mad with clots of the size of my palm! Anyways to cut long story short, had myomectomy then periods returned to slightly manageable stage, although insanely heavy on my 2nd and 3rd day. But lately it was stretching to 12-13 days of bleeding although lighter. So i bit the bullet today and inserted the Mirena.

BTW I am also 45 and have been told many times by many kind sounding GPs that this is very common.

Wargghhhh Thu 26-Oct-17 16:33:16

Hi transfusion went well thank you - have had ultrasound and vaginal scan, all ok (no fibroids or anything sinister) - further investigations next week with GP I think (cervix maybe?).

Am really scared it's going to happen again next time my period's due.. in 3 weeks. Arghh!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: