Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Well woman Plus Omega

(6 Posts)
despondentatwork Sat 21-Oct-17 09:53:14

Are these vitamins any good? 3 for 2 on at Tesco...I’m low in Folate & take 5mcg daily. But still knackered all the time. Know I should probably take Vit D & other nutrients....anyone have any advice? They’re expensive & don’t want to waste ££. Thx.

PollyPerky Sat 21-Oct-17 10:04:24

Tbh I think 90% of vitamins are a sheer waste of cash. if you read the labels and see what's in them, it's likely you get the RDA through your diet unless you are on a restricted diet.

You need to think about what you eat and decide whether you are getting enough of each vitamin and mineral.

Vit A- which foods?
Vit B - ditto
Vit C- ditto
Vit D- all of us need to supplement
Vit E- foods? ( avocado, nuts, certain oils)
Vit K - food
Omega 3- oily fish and leafy veg.

Minerals- calcium, selenium, zinc, folic acid.....(foods?)

The vitamin industry banks on people falling for marketing and thinking vitamins will make them feel 'well'. Unless you are malnourished, you don't need to take pills. If you are knackered, look at your diet, exercise, sleep, alcohol. Do you eat lots of food that has sugar in it? Do you read labels to see what's added sugar? Sugar makes us have highs and lows of energy but overall makes up tired.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 21-Oct-17 10:09:02

Has it been exactly determined why your folate is so low and why you are tired all the time?. What blood tests have been done recently, say within the last six months?. Have your thyroid levels been properly checked?.

despondentatwork Sat 21-Oct-17 10:23:49

Yes, bloods all taken 4mths ago. Folate was 1.3. Way below recommended levels. I do feel a little better, but don’t feel great. I eat lots of Folate rich foods, so no idea why my levels were so awful. My diet isn’t great, and I have 4 children inc a toddler & a OT busy job. I do what I can for my health, but figure taking Dove supplements could help. Well aware of marketing & plots for ‘health’, hence the question.

despondentatwork Sat 21-Oct-17 10:27:37

TFTS & other bloods within normal
limits. However, I know definitions of ‘normal’ limits don’t tally with what’s acceptable for each individual & some ppl are symptomatic of deficiencies at higher levels. Also, it’s difficult to have levels of eg Vitamin D checked & things like fish oils, so possibly worth supplementing anyway.

despondentatwork Sat 21-Oct-17 10:28:40

* PT &* some 🙄. Autocorrect.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now