Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What could this be? Feeling of nervousness.

(12 Posts)
LostMyBroomstick Fri 20-Oct-17 19:55:11

Hi,

I am working a lot of rubbish hours at the moment and until I find something else I am stuck with them. Working nights every other week (2 at a time x 13hrs) and late shifts/early shifts and weekends. Not having much of a family life and feeling under pressure as I am the main earner and, if I had to quit, we would struggle big time financially (not good when we have 2 kids to support). We'd probably lose our house if I left. Lots of staff leaving/on long term sick, so it is making it harder and harder for the rest of us.

Anyway, I have stopped having periods (6 months now) and I am not quite at menopausal age (I'm early 40's) and, for the last few weeks, I have been feeling very uncomfortable in that I sort of feel 'nervous' all the time when I'm sat still. That feeling like you are about to go on stage and have butterflies and throat closes up a bit and irregular heartbeat. It is keeping me awake at times. I am struggling to get myself in normal day mode after each set of nightshifts. Feel jet lagged a LOT!

Do you think my work is connected to my symptoms? We have only done nights etc. for a year as it was forced on us (NHS). My job is not stressful as such, I enjoy it and am good at it but the workload has steadily increased and hours are rubbish now (compared to what they were when I started).

I am desperately trying to get out of the NHS (don't want to but know my family and myself are suffering) but struggling to find something I'd like and something that will pay well.

LostMyBroomstick Fri 20-Oct-17 19:58:04

PS. I have never had this before in my working life.

MrsPatmore Fri 20-Oct-17 19:59:20

Classic physical signs of stress/Anxiety.

LostMyBroomstick Fri 20-Oct-17 20:04:09

Lack of periods too?

Themummy76 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:33:27

I presume you’ve done a pregnancy test?

ShirleyPhallus Fri 20-Oct-17 22:36:03

Classic anxiety OP

Get thyself some CBT and relaxation

WhyDidIEatThat Fri 20-Oct-17 22:47:30

Overactive thyroid? www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/hyperthyroidism-symptoms

I had a constant feeling of apprehension, you should get it checked out, sounds similar?

Titsywoo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:52:56

I get this from acid reflux. I don't get the burning throat really I just get a horrible jittery feeling and a tight throat.

butterfly56 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:31:36

It could be a Pituitary problem which also affects thyroid and adrenals
giving a lot of symptoms you describe.

LostMyBroomstick Sat 21-Oct-17 21:18:47

Definitely not pregnant.
I will get myself to the GP for some blood tests and a chat.

LostMyBroomstick Sat 21-Oct-17 21:19:45

Why have I not had these problems before starting crazy working hours though?

DancingHipposOnAcid Sun 22-Oct-17 09:36:18

Lack of periods could be menopause. I had regular periods until age 41 then they suddenly stopped and that was that.

Had hormone test at GP which confirmed. He said it was earlier than average but not uncommon.

Of course, the lack of periods could easily be caused by all the stress and anxiety of your work situation. Poor you, it sounds awful. I hope you find something else soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: