Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've lost my sense of smell

(10 Posts)
EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 20-Oct-17 07:46:33

Not completely, but over the last year or so I've noticed that my sense of smell has really deteriorated. Where other people ae complaining of really strong smells, I get a faint "whiff".

Eg a strange cat invaded our house (chased Obe of our cats through yhd cat fldp) and peed on the doormat. Dh and I came downstairs and he immediately said "oh God, it's peed, " and made gagging noises. I couldn't smell anything until I got right up to the doormat and even then it was really faint.

Similarly, a friend was complaint that flows she'd been given were smelling her house out. I really couldn't smell them at all. When I went close to them I did smell them fairly but not strongly.

I seem to be able to taste everything ok. It's just the smell. I'm 50 so thought it migt be an age thing but all my friends of similar age still have a good sense of smell. I don't get any nasal problems (no sinusitis, hay fever etc).

Has anyone else had this? Should I be concerned?

gingerh4ir Fri 20-Oct-17 16:57:22

there can be many causes for loss of smell but as you say it's not related to a recent bout of bad cold, I really would see the GP about it.

EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 20-Oct-17 17:59:29

Thanks for replying. I haven't had a cold for years, and don't have any nasal problems. I might mention it to the practice nurse when I have my smear next week. I don't want to waste the GPS time if it's likely to be an age thing though.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Fri 20-Oct-17 18:17:49

Please see your GP.
I had this and turned out to have an autoimmune disease causing swelling in my nasal passages and the meninges of my brain.
I've suffered some brain damage due to the swelling but am now on life long steroids to control it. I do wish I had sought help earlier as I have also damaged my sense of smell and now always have the sort of poor sense of smell you describe.
What happened to me is a very rare condition so not likely to be your problem, but you don't want to stay like this when you could be seeing the world in glorious Smellovision 😀

constantnc Fri 20-Oct-17 18:38:12

Simililar here - but no smell developed into no taste at all.
CT scan showed fluid filled cyst behind the nose which could be operated on, but big operation with risks. So no op, but 5 ys on no smell or taste either 😕
It can be simple things too...started off with a course of antibiotics, then a month if steroids in case it was a polyp etc...so well worth seeing the GP - a referral to ENT took 6 months so may be worth going now in case it doesnt resolve itself in that time.
Hth....

EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 20-Oct-17 18:41:14

Thanks everyone. You've convinced me to see a doctor! It's probably nothing but best to get it checked our.

TheresaMeh Sun 22-Oct-17 15:49:23

Emma - please let us know how you get on. I need to see my GP with similar problem but it's a month for a GP appt here.

Tableforjuan Thu 26-Oct-17 02:36:32

Google anosmia and the Fifth Sense. There are several causes and some are treatable. When you see your GP ask for a referral to an EMT...most GPS have very limited knowledge of smell loss.

NotNowBernard1 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:58:46

If I Google, will it set off my hypochondria? 😀

EmmaGrundyForPM Thu 26-Oct-17 18:12:32

Update - I saw a nurse at my surgery this morning for an unrelated matter but mentioned it to her and asked if I should see a GP. She said to try a nasal spray to clear out my sinuses first. So I'll do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now