Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder polyp

(6 Posts)
Tallblue Thu 19-Oct-17 18:15:46

Wondering if anybody has experience of a polyp on the gallbladder?
A few days ago during an ultrasound (for general abdominal discomfort/bloating) a 4mm polyp was discovered. The scan referral was initially made by my gynaecologist but as it's now a gallbladder issue I'm waiting for an appointment with a gastroenterologist to discuss the way forward.

I've done the worst thing and googled it, it seems the odds are in my favour for the polyp not being a major problem but I suffer from health anxiety and can't shake the worry that this is something really bad, or is going to turn into something bad in the future. I'm 36.

Would love to hear any reassuring stories, if any fellow MNers have been through similar.

trinity0097 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:57:34

No idea of your specifics, but you can manager perfectly well without a gallbladder, so perhaps they might just remove the organ?

Had mine out (for other reasons) in the spring. Never been better!

welshweasel Thu 19-Oct-17 20:01:53

I'm a gallbladder (amongst other things) surgeon. If you came to see me in clinic I'd repeat the scan in 6 months and if it hadn't grown I'd not do anything. If a polyp is over 2cm it should be removed due to the minute risk of developing into a cancer in the future. Small, non growing polyps are entirely safe to leave alone. A few years ago it wouldn't have even been seen, but scans are much higher definition now so we're seeing a lot more! Try not to worry.

cedoren Sun 22-Oct-17 21:14:31

I've got one, it was found incidentally. 3mm. I just had a rescan after 6 months and it hadn't grown. I'm having a reassurance scan in a year, but my consultant was not remotely concerned. Hope that helps.

cedoren Sun 22-Oct-17 21:15:40

And you don't need your gallbladder removed!

Tallblue Tue 24-Oct-17 12:58:45

Thanks for your responses.
I had an appointment with a Gastroenterologist and was told I'd be rescanned in 6 months.
welsh what would happen if the polyp grew e.g. by a couple of mm but was still considered 'small'? Would it still just be monitored or would it be a concern that it was actively growing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now