Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Injected flu vaccine for children - where?

(10 Posts)
SunnyLikeThursday Thu 19-Oct-17 10:20:17

Hi,

I wondered if anyone might know where I could pay privately to have an injected flu vaccine for a 7 year old child?

My son has had a lot of ENT trouble (Glue ear, and two adenoidectomies and sleep apnoea) over the years so I really don't want to have a flu vaccine squirted up his nose in case it kicks off further trouble.

Last year our NHS surgery allowed him to have an injected flu vaccine but this year they won't as he is not eligible to have it free and they aren't allowed to charge us.

I wondered if anyone might know where I go to pay for an injected flu vaccine for a child of this age? Our local travel clinic doesn't do them for children.

Thanks!

TheVanguardSix Thu 19-Oct-17 10:21:40

Boots

washingmachinefastwash Thu 19-Oct-17 10:22:08

A private GP can offer this for you.

Boots would probably do it also.

expatinscotland Thu 19-Oct-17 10:23:46

Boots. DD2 is 11 and in her first year in the secondary school so no longer eligible for a free vaccination. DS is 8 and eligible, but he has autism and the nasal vaccine messed him up big time last year. I had to take him to the GP and ask/beg to get him the jab.

whitehorsesdonotlie Thu 19-Oct-17 10:23:57

No - Boots will not. Took my 13yo dd there last week, and they said no to an injection for her.

However,. she had it done in Tesco. But Tesco said the minimum age for flu jab is 12.

Why would the flu nasal spray cause any problems for your ds, op?

whitehorsesdonotlie Thu 19-Oct-17 10:24:28

But he has autism and the nasal vaccine messed him up big time last year.

What do you mean? Messed him up how?

AuntieStella Thu 19-Oct-17 10:24:40

You'll need to go to a private GP, a travel immunisation provider or keep asking round pharmacies until you find one which will do a child.

Some chains are over 18s only, some over 16 only, some will do younger ages.

It is a total PITA to find places which do children too old for the school-based programme.

expatinscotland Thu 19-Oct-17 10:29:02

'What do you mean? Messed him up how?'

His nose was irritated for weeks and it messed with his sleep, he'd wake up in a panic attack when his nostrils blocked up. He struggles to sleep as it is. So then he started fearing going to sleep because he was afraid he'd get blocked up in his sleep. It lasted over a month and so this year he said he wasn't having that nasal spray.

SunnyLikeThursday Thu 19-Oct-17 10:42:38

I understand the nose trouble at night. That's what happens to my son and that's why I don't want to give him the nasal spray.

SunnyLikeThursday Thu 19-Oct-17 11:02:39

It turns out that our local travel clinic do it, so we will go there. I rang them before and they said they didn't but now they say the definitely do. Fingers crossed they still do when we get there on Tuesday. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now