Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Severe Intercostal pain - how long until resolves ?

(6 Posts)
Wombling123 Thu 19-Oct-17 06:07:36

Hi, I somehow sprained my intercostal muscles ( round back and through to ribs). I have never been in such pain in my entire life and paracetamol doesn't even touch it . Has anyone has this ? If so, how long until it resolves ? It is soooo painful to even cough ! :-(

Bertiemcgertie Thu 19-Oct-17 06:19:16

It's probably worth a trip to the docs to get some anti inflammatory meds like naproxen.

I've had acute costochondritis over past few weeks (inflammation of rib cartilage following a virus). Terribly painful and the only thing that helps is hot water bottles and naproxen.

I feel for you. It is very painful. Unfortunately it can take a few weeks to really start healing (costo usually takes up to 6 weeks).

Bertiemcgertie Thu 19-Oct-17 06:21:03

Oh and of course complete rest helps (though I'm not sure I know many people who can have complete rest - I know that given my job and family this is an impossible ask!)

A8674 Thu 19-Oct-17 06:24:15

I've had it, tried co-codomol and couldn't touch it.

You'll need prescription for strong anti-inflam. Once I got that, a couple of days had it tolerable.

DesignedForLife Thu 19-Oct-17 09:33:14

I've had costocondritus a few times and it's horrid. Holding a hot water bottle and resting is all that helped me, and gentle exercise (from physio). Took me several months to recover sad

Bertiemcgertie Thu 19-Oct-17 11:57:43

designed several months? (Sorry Wombling to hijack) Mine has been 4 weeks. Stitch like pain under left breast and pain radiating all round back. The only thing that helps is the anti inflammatory.

I keep worrying it's a gastro issue but have no indigestion, have had a scan and blood tests and all normal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: