Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Risks of mesh implants

(8 Posts)
scaevola Wed 18-Oct-17 09:10:14

SKY news is running a lot of bulletins on the complications rate of the mesh implant being (probably) considerably higher than the current headline figure.

news.sky.com/story/mesh-implant-problem-bigger-than-thalidomide-11086074

It's unlikely that it would ever be withdrawn completely as a treatment option, because there are cases where it is the best thing to do, and for 90% of recipients, it'll be uncomplicated.

But I think this is a good story for SKY to be running, to raise awareness that risks always need to be properly considered (including by asking questions about what other therapies are possible, and what happens if you do nothing).

Sorry in advance if I'm stating the bloody obvious, but I saw one of the bulletins (and know SKy usually gets a bad crit on MN) and thought it might be worn a wider audience.

ATailofTwoKitties Wed 18-Oct-17 09:16:23

If the mesh is the same type I had for a paraumbilical hernia repair, I can quite see that it could cause awful pain and injury. It took about two months for mine to ping loose at one corner and leave a square edge poking up into the skin. God help anyone who had that sort of edge spiking them in a more sensitive area than the belly button.

(The hospital's view was that trying to remove it would cause more damage than letting it do its own thing. Over the past couple of years it's gradually worked loose altogether, so I now have a little curly roll of it under the skin rather than pointy edges.)

scaevola Wed 18-Oct-17 17:31:25

That sounds awful, Kitties

For those who don't like SKY, this has just appeared on the Beeb

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41671020

1966gettingold Thu 19-Oct-17 07:45:22

I wouldn’t touch the stuff ....the real percentage is thought to be higher the risks , TOP gynaes won’t use it , and most wouldn’t put it in there wives / daughters etc .....it’s PLASTIC ....problem is problems very often arise years later and that includes autoimmune disease , permanent plastic in the body , as many surgeons warned a disaster waiting to happen .

Detentioncontent Thu 19-Oct-17 07:50:38

I have one of these mesh. I have constant urine infections with often bleeding and stomach pains.

ATailofTwoKitties Thu 19-Oct-17 10:26:35

Thanks, Scaevola, but actually I'm fine - just have a weird rolled lump near the navel that no longer has any edges sticking up. It definitely is the mesh, not scar tissue, as I can prod it enough to uncurl a corner when I'm very very bored

Shakey15000 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:25:26

Hi @scaevola @ATailofTwoKitties @1966gettingold and @Detentioncontent

Hope you don't mind me posting this here, I'm a long time MN-er (10 years, crikey where did that go?). I've been unfortunate enough to suffer multiple prolapses following a traumatic birth. Have had a couple of surgeries over the years, the last one being a couple of weeks ago.

I found the, very helpful, and long running prolapse/birth injuries threads on MN a few years ago and they are really helpful and supportive. A kind poster directed me to a FB group run by APOPS (Association for Pelvic Organ Prolapse Support) where there is equally, a whole host of worldwide support. The group is run by a fellow sufferer called Sherrie Palm. She works tirelessly to raise support, speak to clinicians/doctors/gynaecologists/urogynaecologists all over the world discussing many issues surrounding POP including topics such as diagnosis, various treatments, physical therapy to name a few.

For me personally, I had never even heard of the possibility of prolapses pre giving birth, much less how to take steps to try and avoid it etc. And without my heightened awareness since, I would have been unaware of treatment options, what questions to ask, about potential risks etc especially given the current issues surrounding mesh use.

Anyhow, to the point (and thanks for reading thus far). I have started a thread in Site Stuff www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/3059452-MN-Can-we-please-support-highlight-this

to ask if MN would consider helping to raise awareness by inviting Sherrie for a webchat. I'd be grateful, if you think it's a good idea, if you could post support on the thread.

Thanks in advance

^^Also, that's c+p from another thread because I'm lazy and further apologies if you see similar from me around MN smile

juddyrockingcloggs Fri 20-Oct-17 19:23:43

This is worrying. I am on the waiting list for an operation to fix my prolapse, infact I go to see my consultant for my final consultation a week on Monday. I am having the mesh to rectify the issues with my uterine prolapse and bladder incontinence. I can’t live the way I am but alternatively I’m only 34 and the thought of living the rest of my life in pain with a lower quality of life physically scares the shit out of me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: